Duty Free - Singapore vs Langkawi

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duty Free - Singapore vs Langkawi

Hi,

We are travelling to Langkawi later in the year. To coincide with plane schedules, we need to at least overnight in Singapore, and need some advice re Duty Free shopping.

Langkawi is a duty free location, but I am wondering what variety (and prices!) it has compared to Singapore - especially cameras, and other electrical.

Also wondering about availability of designer brand clothes and running shoes in Langkawi, and their relative prices.

Thanks for any insights.

Rob
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:56 PM

we found very little to buy in langkawi and the airport is very small so think for certain singapore is much better
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Other than a few local handicrafts, there is virtually NO shopping in Langkawi.
What is advertised as Duty Free shopping in Singpapore is often NOT. If you are thinking of buying electronics here, you would be well served to do some shopping at home for the same brands and models. bring your notes with you, so you will be able to know if the prices here are any better. If you buy here, be sure to ask for the international warranty card.
I have found things like perfume and handbags that are advertised as Duty Free at the airport shops are cheaper than they would be on Orchard Rd here, but still about the same I would pay in the US.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:47 PM

There are some duty free shops in Kuah on Langkawi - The real savings I noted were on drink and cigarettes
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:54 PM

langkawi is mostly for booze and cigarettes, not for clothes, etc.
try singapore or Johor Bahru across the causeway from Singapore (much cheaper because it is in Malaysia)
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:48 AM

In Singapore electronics, handbags and perfumes are basically duty free. Difference is if you buy during departure at the airport there is no GST whereas if you buy outside the airport you can claim a GST refund subject to a minimum sum.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:01 AM

I don't know if langkawi Airport still has that huge 'Duty Free" illimianted sign but I think you will be sorely dissapointed to expect great bargains. There are "Duty/tax free" large shops in Kuah but it was mainly household goods, packs of Chocolate etc, I think there is something like if Malaysians visit for 48 hours they can buy 'x' value or something, there were some wines etc but nothing interesting. I went into the shops near the ferries hoping for some electrical bargains but nothing worth buying.

In Singapore getting a GST refund at Changi Airport is a breeze, fast and simple. If you head to the malls perhaps away from the majors you can find electrical goods on promotion and special offers which are reasonably priced and also a far larger selection that you get at the airport.