Flights to Angkor Wat/ Siem Reap

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please recommend how we purchase flights from Bangkok, Thailand to Siem Reap, Cambodia? We are planning on flying in November and I've heard its better to buy tickets before we go.

Thank you in advance, Lisa
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM
sandi

Bangkok Air flies the route (BKK/REP). There are about 4 or 5 flights a day to/from.

Some people suggest you can wait till you get to BKK, others before you arrive. I prefer the latter. You can check the Bangkok Air site for schedules and prices and I believe you can purchase online. We, however, had our tour operator get all our tickets (including all flights within Thailand).

I know I posted on other threads that our ticket price was about $250, yet, when I checked my ticket receipts (I keep these together in my photo album) - I made an error, as the actual price was $171 incl.tax.

If you're working with a tour operator, you can have them handle this, otherwise you have to take care of on your own. Also, if you have an itinerary set, I wouldn't want to find out the day I was to be in REP, there were no flights available.

You'll also have to pay for a VISA upon arrival in REP - application, 1-photo, USD$20. There is also a departure fee of USD$20 when leaving. Also note that each time you leave Thailand (BKK) there is a departure fee of 500Baht (est. $12), so keep these Baht fees in your passport or somewhere safe so that you don't spend all your local currency (though there are ATMs throughout the airport).

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:43 PM

We bought our tickets on-line. But I think I got the info on-line and then had to call the airline (in US) and then get the tickets from a travel agent...The point of all this is its better to make the arrangements before you go to Thailand. We did not have a tour operator and getting the tickets was not a problem. The flights do get sold out and there are few options.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:38 PM

I purchased my Bangkok Air tickets online - easy, no problems. I do recommend that you buy before you go, the flights fill up, and I was unable to get the exact flight I wanted even though I was booking 4 or 5 months in advance!!

Also, unless they have changed it, the departure tax from Siem Reap was much less than $20. The visa cost is US$20.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:00 PM

i purchased my tickets via telephone and e-mail directly from the bangkok air office in new york....they were very helpful and prompt....
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 09:55 PM

it's better too get them befor you leave.. availabilty is not certain.. I am forced too leave this sunday too sien reap since almost every this is booked do too the apec summit next week...
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 10:15 PM

I have just returned from Siem Reap this Sunday, and the airport tax is USD20.

I've also purchased tickets to other destinations via Bangkok Air's website. It's simple, hassle-free and in many cases at the similar price that a travel agent would charge you.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 04:15 AM
sandi

Kathie -

Correction - Just checked my S.E.Asia diary and we paid USD$15 as departure fee. But the original information I had was a USD$7 fee, then friends who had returned prior our departure, paid USD$12 - it was my TA that advised it had increased to USD$15.

So it's a good idea to have extra USD currency as the charges appear to change regularly.

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 05:35 AM

Sandi, it sounds like the airport taxes are going up regularly, then. I paid US$7, then your friends paid US$12, then US$15, and someone above noted that they did pay a US$20 departure tax.

Certainly Cambodia could use the revenue.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 12:56 PM
sandi

Kathie -
Between the VISA and departure fee, still cheap for the amazing sites you see. And you do notice it's always USD.
Will have to see how soon many foreign govt collecting USD for VISAs and departure fees, insist on the new "tri-color" USD$20s, just out today. They'll likely thing the "old" 20s are no longer worth anything. Amazing!

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Oh lordy, you mean it's not enough that I have to be sure all my singles are crisp and new, now my 20's have to be the right color?
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 01:23 PM

Yes, I've also been wondering how quickly they'll want the new $20 bills. I remember traveling soon after the new $100s came out, and initially, people in SE Asia were suspicious of the new bills. By the time of my next trip, they were only willing to accept the new bills.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 01:34 PM
sandi

I like you Marilyn - you're right on top of it! Or we both just have this strange sense of funnies.

Story to tell - we were heading from Nairobi to Arusha by local bus (all that was missing were the chickens up top) - but that's another story. Our tickets had been prepaid, but a German women and her niece already on the bus, still needed to pay.
They were asked for USD$80 (r/t for both of them) and she handed the bus rep four fairly crisp USD$20 bills.
Three of the 20s were the new larger face bills and one 20 the old smaller face bill; sure enough the rep didn't want to take the older bill.
Overhearing what was being said - they were sitting right behind us - I indicated that those bills were perfectly fine and still had the same value - it didn't help. Being the nice person I am, I gave the women a newer 20 and we were good to go!

I can guarantee vendors in overseas countries will have access to those new 20s before most of us do.

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Thanks, sandi! But I'm afraid it's the voice of experience, not my sense of humor. I can't remember now where and when I learned, at some inconvenience like the German women, about shop-worn currency and the reluctance of the 3rd World to take it, but I didn't have to learn twice.