Duty free phones in Narita

Old Jul 6th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duty free phones in Narita

This seems like a ling shot but here goes. We have a trip planned to India in the fall with a stop in Narita on the way. My nephew wants an unlocked smart phone to use over there so can I get one in the duty free shops in Narita, specifically an Apple or Samsumg product and if so is it less money? Thanks!

Larry
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Do you happen to have a gmail account? I have the unlocked Google Phone (Nexus LG) and I really like it. Right now it has my SIM card for Bangkok (which includes internet). I'm heading to Paris on Monday and am considering getting some sort of SIM card there for phone/internet during my week long stay in the city. I especially like the internet option. This phone also works in the USA, but you would have to sign up with a provider and sign a contract, I would guess. But it extremely useful when I'm globe-trotting!!! I am thinking the cost is about $299. You get it from Google. Do a search for Google Phone. But you need a gmail account (which is certainly easy enough to get, if need be).

I have never priced phones at NRT so I can't tell you if you could get a smart phone there, or for what price. Sorry.

Carol
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I can get a gmail acct. of course. I'll look into it.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 02:31 PM

It has been my experience that most electronics cost more in Japan. In addition, the warranties for many items purchased in Asia are not valid in the US.

But I've never priced phones, especially not in Dufree. I'd be curious to know, as I am going to need a phone very soon!
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Actually its for my nephew in India and its for use there. I spoke with him yesterday and it seems that he paid less in Delhi for a Samsung Galaxy phone for his wife that what it may cost here in the US though its not a high end one. I dont know the exact model. I went to the Apple store too and the cheapest Iphone, the 4 with 8 gb's would be about $500.00 inc. tax so thats about 30000 rupess given the current exchange. The phone he got for his wife was around $200.00 there so hes going to look around and we'll see what we can do.

I dont even know if DF stores smart have phones. Wonder if there is a website to see?
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Well I checked a bit and found that DF stores have them but as you said the cost is relative to the country so it did say it may be less in the US vs. DF in another country. I wish I could find out about how much they are in Narita ???