Driving Kuala Lumpur to Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 4 nights in Malaysia in July, flying on from Singapore on the last day. I was thinking about staying the first night in Kuala Lumpur and wondering if it is worth it to drive down the west coast to Singapore, maybe stopping for a night at some beach area. Then spending the last night or two in Singapore. Is this worth it? Otherwise 2 nights KL and 2 nights Singapore. Flights are only about US$78 one way. What would you recommend? Thanks
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 03:48 PM

No, forget about beaches. Best beaches are on east coast. Only place worth stopping at is Malacca, but you don't have much time. If you want a cursory look at everything, then do KL in a day, drive down to Malacca and have a night at Puri Hotel and then down to Singapore, but sounds too rushed to me.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 04:54 AM

I agree with previous poster. Melaka is a cool town to visit, but not for beaches. There are no nice beaches on the west coast, ESPECIALLY south of KL.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, did more research since I posted this and found out that the east coast would be better. Thinking of spending 1 night in KL then taking a $40 flight from KL over to the east coast and driving down stopping along the way in two different areas. Will we need to get out to the islands or is the coastline nice? Any great areas there? Then spending the last night in Singapore. I am having a prob finding info if I can rent a car in Malaysia and dropping it off in Singapore though.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 07:04 PM

You will leave you car at Johor Bharu in Malaysia. Singapore has a rather complex motoring system where fees are payable for road usage, hence although many Malaysians use their cars to go across to Singapore, usually to go to/from Changi Airport, it is not a place where renting a car is usual, parking etc is expensive. The transport system within Singapore is one of the best in the world, so leave the car at Johor Bharu and then you taxi/bus to your hotel is Singapore and use the MRT/Bus/Taxis to get around, cheap, clean, safe, efficient.