driving from Thailand to Cambodia

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving from Thailand to Cambodia

Hi Crew,
Does anyone have experience in driving a rental car from Thailand to Angkor Wat? Border issues or road conditions are of special interest. My daughter and I will be touring Thailand in March. We love to do our own driving and don't think we will have issues in Thailand, but are still wondering about crossing into Cambodia.
Regards,
Lisa
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Unfortunately you will not be allowed to take a rental car across the boarder. As for driving yourself in Cambodia I have heard of people renting a motorcylce but not a car.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Scotters is right. You can't take a car across the border. Indeed, the laws as to whether you can rent a vehicle or motorbike in Cambodia change periodically. I understand that recently the law was changed back to not allowing foreigners to rent even motorbikes in Cambodia.

I am assuming that you are talking about renting a car in Thailand to drive around in the north and that you are not thinking about trying to drive in Bangkok (eeeek!).
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:19 PM

this is not like driving from georgia to florida or from france to italy....conditions can be rough and maybe not as secure as you might like...

it is not allowed in any case....fly...you won't be missing anything except a lot of aggravation, graft and theft...
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:03 AM

Early this year I tried to take my car into Cambodia, my wife and I drove to the border at Koh Kong and it took me about 10 minutes to sort out all the paperwork/permits for my car at the Thai side but when I drove down to the Cambodian check point it was a very different story. The was no cooperation at all, I was finally given permission to take my car into the country for only 2-3 days, which was insufficient time for our travel plans. I felt very suspicious of the Cambodian officials and felt that I may well end up loosing my car through this venture. So in the end I just drove straight back in Thailand and parked the car in a car park and we continued on into Cambodia by foot, then motorcycle taxi. Thais drive their cars into Cambodia all the time but a foreigner behind the wheel is a glaring target begging to get seriously fleeced. So based on my own experience I suggest you totally drop the idea of driving into Cambodia.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Well... looks like flying is the way to go. I had intended to see how comfortable it felt but TexasSlim pretty well covers the comfort factor.
Mucho thanks to you all for the replies.
Lisa