Koh Yao Noi or Yai? Help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I are traveling to Thailand in early to mid April and are planning to be spending the tail end of our trip in the Andaman Sea. We are looking into stay on Koh Yao Yai or Koh Yao Noi. We would love to spend our vacation not surrounded by tourists but rather local people, spots and towns. We would also love to see empty beautiful beaches with some snorkeling or sandy bottoms as well as some limestone cliffs that we could kayak or take a long tail boat by/ through a cluster of them. We love the way these islands appear isolated from the touristy influence around them but still have easy access to places like Ko Phi Phi and Ko Hong (where we are planning to take day trips to). So which island should we choose to stay on? Koh Yao Yai or Noi? Or should we scrap the whole idea of these islands and rather just stay in Krabi or Phang Nga? We are open to any new island suggestions as well! Thanks!

Also...would the weather be good around these islands this time of year?
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM

April is hot and will be moving into the rainy season. Here is weather data: http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...iland&units=us

The weather shouldn't be terrible, just not the best, And be aware that the monsoons bring not only rain, but also rough seas, Beaches may be res-flagged.

Be aware that when you go to less visited islands you will find fewer tourists, but the islands begin to close up before the monsoons arrive. A friend of mine went to a less visited island and found the hotel they were staying at was just waiting for them to leave to close for the season. They had few choices for meals as many of the little restaurants on the beach were already closed for the season. So check on this before you commit. Also, it takes time to get to these islands, which increases your travel time. Certainly this won't be a danger at more popular beach areas like Krabi.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 03:40 PM

typo - Beaches may be red-flagged.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kathie... Do you have any suggestions on which island would be a better fit for my family as listed in the post? April is the only time we can make this trip work and I have heard from several friends of the family that have traveled to the country in April that it is not to bad and that we still will have a great time in Thailand! There will be no changing our travel dates and I am trying to plan this trip according to the time of the year we will be visiting and just trying to find some helpful suggestions on which places to visit! If you have any other suggestions on which beaches in Thailand would be best in April that would be very much appreciated but our travel dates are not changing and will have to be worked around. Thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 06:24 PM

I would make my decision based on accommodation available.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 11:36 PM

http://www.travelfish.org/islands#thailand Provides a pretty good rundown of the two( and many other islands). It's a very long time since I have been to either and I am sure things have changed a lot so I am reluctant so to suggest which may suit you better., but the descriptions in travel fish are invariably pretty accurate when compared with most outer sources.

Both islands will be a LOT quieter and less developed than Krabi or Phang Nga so I wouldn't write them off. The beaches will be very nice, the interiors of the island relatively unspoilt and you will certainly see less development.

I would say however, that If you are on a limited schedule, say less than three weeks, moving around from place to place will eat dramatically into your beach time. Do consider how long it will take to get from place to place (although sitting on a boat in the Andaman sea is usually no hardship.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the weather in early - mid April. The climate is changing and the monsoons don't always arrive on time these days and climate charts are necessarily historical. In addition, it is likely to be that much the same accross the whole Andaman region so won't be much different wherever you chose.

For kayaking one of the best outfits ( and most expensive outfits) is John Grey sea canoes. Check if they are running in early April, if so, that is a good indication of the sea and weather conditions.