Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Drivers in Ubud (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/drivers-in-ubud-546393/)

constanttraveller Jul 24th, 2005 01:31 AM

Drivers in Ubud

We are going to be staying in Ubud for 3 nights and would like to explore the area. Can anyone recommend a good driver who speaks good English to show us around the outer areas for a day. We will also need us to take us to Seminyak to the hotel we are going to stay at.If we can book him before we go to take us from the airport to Ubud or is it better to pick up a taxi at the airport to Ubud.

Craig Jul 24th, 2005 03:29 AM

Send an e-mail with your itinerary to Putu Arnawa ([email protected]). He lives in Ubud and is a great driver and guide. Many of us on this board have used him with wonderful results. If all you are going to do on the day you arrive is transfer from the airport to Ubud, you might try contacting your hotel to pick you up.

rhkkmk Jul 24th, 2005 07:19 AM

craig suggested putu to us last year and we used him for most of a week...he was exceptional...i have passed his name on to a number of people who have also had very good luck with him....he has a medium sized suv which is very comfortable and has good a/c....his english is exceptional and his prices are even better....he will take you all around the island if you wish or concentrate on ubud the area where he lives...

you will not be disappointed with him!!!

his top price for 10-12 hour day last year was 400,000 or about $40 all inclusive... he also has a website which you can visit

Mealea Jul 24th, 2005 04:44 PM

I have heard many good things about Putu on this forum. However, since he's been recommended so much, he's often booked up. I tried to book him this past March, and he was busy for a whole month solid.

There are so many nice drivers and guides in Bali. You can probably find a good one on your own after you arrive.

I met many good drivers that I used for short trips around town and then I found my favorite one and used him after that. He was great. A very kind and gentle man, can explain a lot about Balinese culture, and has good English. Most all drivers that you hire directly (not through a hotel) will charge about 300,000 - 400,000 ($30-40) for a full day driving around the island.

If you want to pre-arrange something, contact Putu or Made and see who is free. Otherwise, find someone after you arrive in Bali.

His contact details are:

I Made Raka
English Tour Guide and Driver
[email protected]
phone: 081-3385-69995
He is based in Ubud.

constanttraveller Jul 27th, 2005 01:05 AM

Thank you everyone for your help. Will get on and do this. Unfortunately since I posted this have been ill and not up to doing it. Will get my skates on and if I cannot get one of the recommended driver will find one when I get there. Will not do it through the hotel after what you have said. Thanks again.

rhkkmk Jul 27th, 2005 07:00 AM

your hotel can also help you in finding a good driver if one of these people is not available.