thai tailor & wedding dress maker

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are firming up our plans for Thailand in December, including many of the suggestions offered by Fodorites responding to my previous post. Now my son & his fiance are thinking about 1) having a suit made for my son & 2) having my future daughter-in-law's wedding dress made while in Thailand. I searched for previous posts on this topic and nothing very current appeared. Any suggestions as to whether it would be a good idea or not to have clothing made while we are in Bangkok. Your ideas/suggestions pro & con would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:12 AM

It's a good idea, as long as you will be in Bangkok for a number of fittings. For a suit, three fittings is a minimum for a well-fitting suit. For a wedding dress, I'd allow more. Both should have very specific ideas of what they want - bring photos or drawings, and be prepared to tell the tailor or seamstress exactly what they want for every detail. The two also need to be forthcoming at the fittings about what they like and don't like about the fit. I'd plan to spend a good week in Bangkok.

Note that there is a soi has has shops specializing in bridal attire. I don't remember which soi off of Sukhumvit it is, but a local will no doubt fill in that information here soon. So that is another option (sort of a semi-custom dress) for the bride to be.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:21 AM

jim thompson makes custom wedding dresses from their main store on suriwong at the corner with rama IV..

all along soi 55, sukhumvit you will find many wedding dress shops, but they may be mostly thai style, but check it out..

cotton house behind the oriental hotel might help you also, or refer you to a good shop...

fittings, fittings, fittings...

for the suit, the shop next to the landmark hotel is considered the best---about $300. i forget the name but someone will chime in... its about 3 doors from the hotel entrance to the right as you face the hotel... the guy is victor
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:25 AM

Bob, have you been shopping for wedding dresses? I didn't know Jim Thompson did them, but that's an excellent referral as is Cotton House.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:32 PM

you never know when you might need one so i keep tuned in... i am not sure JT does them but they certainly do gowns...
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Given the popularity of wedding shows lately (Greek, Gypsy) its can't be long before we see ... My Big Fat Bangkok Wedding on TV.
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:50 AM

There are 2 shops oswned by competing brothers who do excellent work. They are Raja Fashions. If you want a suit that will last for 10+ years make sure you get a 100% wool, not a wool blend, and you want a 150 Superfine thread count with lapels that are NOT bonded, hand stitched as well as hand stitched pockets. The fancy inside hidden pockets are a gimmick. You just need regular inside pockets on either side. The above will require 3 fittings over 3 days, maybe 2.5 days if you go first thing the first day (they usually open at 10:00-10:30). The cost for the above at Raja will be $350 now because the USD is weak vs. the Baht. I boughtsuits made with Scabel-type fabic which is really the ultimate but they cost $480 when I purchased 2. You can get less expensive suits for $250 but you get what you pay for. another tailer is Il Monte Sarto that I used some years ago with some success. Prices there may be 5-10% less.