Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Drink Rec for Sri Lankan Food (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/drink-rec-for-sri-lankan-food-1032065/)

yestravel Dec 13th, 2014 11:07 AM

Drink Rec for Sri Lankan Food

I wish I could say I was going on a trip to Sri Lanka, but, alas, only going to a Sri Lankan restaurant for dinner. It's BYOB and I can't seem to find what one would drink with SL food. Is there a type of wine you would recommend or beer? Thanks for your thoughts.

annhig Dec 13th, 2014 11:15 AM

SL food tends to be quite spicy so a light beer works, or a slightly off-dry white wine with a bit of oomph to it - i don't know if you can get hold of them but a wine from Alsace can be good.

ekscrunchy Dec 13th, 2014 12:24 PM

Agree!

Where is the restaurant?

Craig Dec 13th, 2014 12:29 PM

BEER for almost anything in Asia. I don't drink wine with spicy food (although you can, with the right wine :-) )

MarnieWDC Dec 13th, 2014 12:53 PM

The restaurant is a new one, Banana Leaf, in WDC....the same family as the one in NYC.

Thanks for the beer/wine recommendations; we should not have difficulty finding Alcasian Wine here.

DH and I will have the pleasure of this SL evening with Yestravel and her DH. :).

crellston Dec 13th, 2014 04:43 PM

A good bottle of Argentine Malbec will hold its own with SL food.

MarnieWDC Dec 13th, 2014 05:10 PM

Ah, Crellston's. Would that you could join us :-)

crellston Dec 13th, 2014 07:22 PM

Wish I could Marnie but it is along way from Hanoi!
Incidentally, recently spent a great evening with another Fodorite DC resident, internetwiz and Mr Wiz, in Kuala Lumpur a couple of weeks ago.

Mohammed Dec 14th, 2014 02:15 AM

If it is to be a very spicy meal with sea food etc a cold beer will probably work best. Sri Lankan food tends to use a of of Coconut which makes it challenging to pair wines with. I have found some of the South African Pinotage goes well. Also a gin tonic as an apertiff perhaps!

yestravel Dec 14th, 2014 08:07 AM

Thanks, all! Not a beer drinker though that is what I always hear pairs well with Asian food.

As Marnie said no problem getting an Alsace wine in DC.

Crellston, an ARG malbec is an intersting suggestion. How goes it in VN? Are the Internetwizs having a good time? I remember their questions when they were planning.

Mohammed, not sure I have ever had a South African Pintoage.

annhig Dec 14th, 2014 08:16 AM

yt - pinotage is the SA equivalent of a pinot noir in other places.

Mohammed Dec 14th, 2014 09:22 PM

I had also brought a case of Voigner (its a white wine) from South Africa a couple of years back and this was marvelous served chilled with spicy meals.Sorry I cant remember the exact name.

progol Dec 15th, 2014 12:56 AM

yestravel, I hope you had a good time at Banana Leaf/DC.

I live only a few blocks away from the Banana Leaf/NYC -- it's a tiny place (went once), but if anyone wants to do a GTG there, let me know!

yestravel Dec 15th, 2014 05:02 AM

hi! progol! I was just thinking about you and how this time last year I was obsessing about BKK.

annhig Dec 15th, 2014 07:12 AM

mohammed - i think that would work well too. We mainly stuck to beer and enjoyed that very much with the spicy sri lankan food, which is some of the most delicious I've tasted.

progol Dec 15th, 2014 08:17 AM

Hi, yestravel, Can't believe that it's been nearly a year - boy do I remember the BKK anxiety! Plans A, B, C and more!

crellston Dec 15th, 2014 07:06 PM

It is going great in Vietnam thanks yestravel ( apart from the weather!). The Internetwizs had agreat time I think and are now back home in DC - probably planning there next trip��

internetwiz Dec 16th, 2014 08:49 AM

When are you going to the Banana Leaf? I am in the DC area and would love to meet up with you guys. I met crellson and his wife last month in Kuala Lumpur. I'm toying with going to Sri Lanka, so this would be a good introduction to the food.

yestravel Dec 16th, 2014 10:21 AM

internetwiz, sure, love to have you join us. We're going this Thursday, the 18th, at 7:30. Is there a way to reach you? (Hate that Fodors doesn't have a private messaging function.)

internetwiz Dec 16th, 2014 11:53 AM

yestravel, Thursday would work! I just added my email address to my profile (which I will remove after I hear from you). I am in Silver Spring and the restaurant is in Chevy Chase, so that's perfect. I look forward to meeting you on Thursday.