Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Dress shirt for hubby in Hoi an (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/dress-shirt-for-hubby-in-hoi-an-738139/)

alana Sep 22nd, 2007 08:18 AM

Dress shirt for hubby in Hoi an

Can anyone tell me which tailor has a really nice selection of cottons for dress shirts for husband. I'd like to have about 5-6 made with some nice colors and materials. thanks. alana

pkight Sep 29th, 2007 07:09 AM

I had two sport coats made at Yaly's and was very pleased with the quality. Measured at 10 am picked up the coats at 3 pm.

thursdaysd Sep 29th, 2007 12:11 PM

The tailors mostly seem to have the same materials, more important to pick a good tailor. And you can always buy the cloth yourself at the market.

alana Oct 4th, 2007 07:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. How much did the sports coat cost at Yalys, and what material did you buy. How would I know how much material to buy at the cloth market. Thanks. Alana

thursdaysd Oct 4th, 2007 09:10 PM

First pick the tailor. Then, if you don't like any of her fabrics, ask how much you should buy. I can't remember who I bought from - I think my hotel made the recommendation.

nhulberg Nov 10th, 2007 11:41 PM

I left Hoi An just yesterday. Used a tailor named "A Dong Silk" (A Dong means "Asia"). They were recommended by our guide as just as good as the famous Yaly, but less expensive. I didn't do any price comparision, but I am very happy with "A Dong".

This was my first experience with a Vietnamese tailor, so I can't draw any comparisons. BUT, one thing I noted that the choice of fabrics at A Dong Silk was far superior to a couple of tailors I used in Thailand on a previous trip. So, one bit of advice to pick a place with quality fabrics, if you are picky. If all a man wants is, for example, a plain navy jacket, there are probably a lot of alternatives.

As to price, there was a huge difference based on the fabric I chose. The very best fabric for shirts was $40 per shirt, which may strike some as pricey. But some other fabrics were $25-35. I know the ones I bought in Thailand for $11 per shirt didn't turn out to be such a great bargain after all.

I don't really have a sharp eye for the quality of fabrics, so on this trip I went straight for the most expensive, on the theory that prices are set in the market. I noted some famous names on the fabrics, such as "Dolce Gabbana.

The suits I ordered were "120 wool", about $300-350. I bought two jackets (sportcoats)for about $250. Slacks about $70-80, though the cashmere one was $180.

They were very fast (1 day, though I requested some minor adjustments, which took 1/2 day more). I was very happy with the quality of work. They weren't very big on bargaining. Though I bought $2,200 worth of goods, they were only willing to reduce the price by about 5% (I even tried to use my Vietnam-born wife to she if she could shave off a bit more, to no great advantage).

I found out that Hoi An is a famous garment center. I am sure there are other very godd tailors, but I give "A Dong Silk" a top rating.

nhulberg Dec 2nd, 2007 09:38 PM

Allow me to add to my Nov. 11 post re the Hoi An tailor, "A Dong Silk". I was, as noted, very happy with them. BUT, after that post I traveled on to Hanoi. There I had some suits and shirts made at Cao Minh tailors. They were definitely superior in quality to A Dong Silk.

I don't know about any price diffential; too hard to compare as each fabric is priced differently. The Fodor's guidebook says they are "good but expensive". Might be true, but I am willing to pay a bit more for better quality.

Bisbee Dec 3rd, 2007 03:55 AM

I also recommend Cao Minh. They do very nice quality work. They also have 2 shops in HCMC.

ekscrunchy Dec 3rd, 2007 05:39 AM

So better to have the tailoring done in Hanoi?

Would Cao Minh also be good for women's shirts/pants?

ak61 Dec 6th, 2007 10:20 AM

I am trying to reach nuhlberg who was in Hoi An in December? Did you find any side trips particularly great. We ar doing the usual plus the bridge school.
I am sorry that I can't seem to figure out how to reach you.
Thanks,
Sue