Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Domestic flights in Malaysia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/domestic-flights-in-malaysia-568261/)

thunderbird Nov 2nd, 2005 12:05 AM

Domestic flights in Malaysia

Hi,

I will be going to malaysia (KL) in the end of november and connecting to penang.

I am wondering if it is possible to buy the domestic flight tickets for malaysia airlines when I arrive KLIA.

Or Is it cheaper to buy online in advance rather than buying from KLIA?

Thanks

laurieco Nov 2nd, 2005 03:07 AM

We were able to by tickets from KL to Penang an hour before the flight. Check the Malaysia Airlines site online and see how many flights are available for the flight you want on the day you want. If there are several, you probably won't have a problem getting them once there. I don't know if it's cheaper to buy over there but I suspect it is.

JamesA Nov 2nd, 2005 03:23 AM

You have 2 choices, malaysia Airlines or Air Asia ( Air Asia is a budget carrier )

You 'should' be ok, what I would suggest is check malaysia Airlines website and see what fares are offered, if you think reasonable book online.

Note that Friday afternnon and evening flights and Sunday evening flights will be heavily booked up, if traveling mid week you 'should' be OK but remember if you don't book in adavnce you whole vacation could be 'ruined' simply because on the day 'you' want to travel the flights were full.

I honestly think when you are on a timed vacation period leaving flight seats to 'chance' can either be 'ok' or it can actually totally wreck up your entire trip.

I personaly would 'never' arrive at an airport anywhere without a confirmed seat.

WinterTravel Nov 2nd, 2005 08:26 AM

We were in Malaysia last year and booked our internal tickets on the Malaysian Airlines site before going. The rates are not at all expensive compared to Europe or the US, so it is worth doing before you go. Probably not worth the risk of not getting flights on the days you need to travel to save on already very inexpensive tickets.

twofortheroad Nov 2nd, 2005 08:51 AM

On our first trip to Malaysia, we booked a flight on arriving in KL for some 30 days in advance. No problem. On our second trip, we decided to do the same for a flight from Langkawi, some 35 days away. All the flights were full. The agent called elsewhere and got us tickets. For our third trip, we booked far in advance before our trip.

Walter_Walltotti Nov 2nd, 2005 08:52 AM

Expedia usually has good rates for Malaysian flights - upgrades to business class are usually worth it - onl;y a few dollars etc for the extra luggage allowance, bigger seats, champagne, snacks, and lounge perks

rhkkmk Nov 2nd, 2005 09:06 AM

the last time i used malay air i booked my internal tickets before i left because they offered a package deal for any group of tickets that included an international segment....i am unsure from your writeup if you are flying malay air trans pacific or not so that may make a difference for you