Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Dollar bills in Cambodia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/dollar-bills-in-cambodia-732681/)

Sarvowinner Aug 29th, 2007 07:05 AM

Dollar bills in Cambodia

Hi

I know I can get US cash from the ATM at the airport in Phnom Penh, however how can we get one dollar bills? We're travelling Sydney-Bangkok-Phnom Penh and then onto Siem Reap in late Sept/early Oct 2007.

I would think that the ATMs would dispense larger bills. We're staying at the Pavilion for two nights then hiring a car to SR where we're staying at the Sofitel.

BTW on the advice of many posters we've engaged Ponheary as our guide in SR.

Kathie Aug 29th, 2007 09:14 AM

The cash machines do give large bills, you may well be able to excahnge them for $1 at your hotel or elsewhere, though it would be nice to have some as you arrive.

LeighTravelClub Aug 29th, 2007 11:09 AM

I think Sofitel is the best hotel in Siem Reap. Try to get a de-luxe room....just a little bit special!!!!
And the pool....well ....oh so good.
Take some small bills with you.
Pics of Sofitel on our site at

www.leightravelclub.com

Think you will like it there. Some people state that this hotel is used largely by tour groups. Not my experience at all.... after several visits. This hotel is classy,laid back and an ideal base to explore The Angkor Complex. ENJOY!!

huddoshols Aug 29th, 2007 03:06 PM

Change some aussie dollars into US dollars at Syd airport before you go.Any of the money exchanges have dollar bills. You will love Siem Reap and all the surrounds.

mrwunrfl Aug 29th, 2007 11:10 PM

I stayed at the Sofitel in SR and was able to change larger US$ bills for smaller. No problem. It was routine for them.

Sarvowinner Aug 29th, 2007 11:58 PM

Thanks guys

My husband works for Accor and in the past, we got fantastic treatment at the Sofitels in HCMC and Metropole - so here's hoping.

Will the Pavilion have change in Phomn Penh?

SirHalberd Aug 30th, 2007 01:13 PM

Don't leave Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos with any of their money. It is hard to exchange that money over once you leave those countries!

Kathie Aug 30th, 2007 05:16 PM

It's not just hard to change Cambodian Riel, Lao Kip and VN Dong outside of the country, the currency is technically worthless outside each respective country.

Sarvowinner Aug 30th, 2007 05:19 PM

Where do people change their Us notes in to dollar bills in Phnom Penh?

offwego Aug 31st, 2007 11:28 AM

I always take about $100 of ones with me, so if it's convenient for you to get them, do it. The first time I went, I found no one wanted to break larger bills, so since then, just bring them along. It helps make life a little easier.

but don't worry about it too much...when you pay for something with a large bill, you'll just get riels back and then can use them for tuk tuks, etc.

Like Kathy said, don't take them out of the country unless you want to wallpaper your bathroom with them.

ldtc2 Aug 31st, 2007 02:03 PM

Save yourself ALOT of headaches ... bring 100 US in dollar bills .... we found it very difficult if not impossible to get "small change" ...... we ALWAYS bring 100 US in dollar bills for tips .... as the hotels don't have small change .... it's a bit of a pain to carry but .......