Japan Itinerary and Train Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking a multi-country trip in Asia that I am about to book using miles. Basically, i have a choice of spending four days in Kyoto, where I have been once and loved; or, I can spend 8 days in Japan, flying in and out of Osaka.

If I spend 8 days, I was thinking about Kyoto for four days, then Tokyo for three days (where have been, but did not love; but i'm willing to give it another chance), and one night in Osaka before departing. the idea would be to take Shinkansen trains between the cities. But I am struggling a little with the expense and travel time of going to Tokyo after not having had a great time there before; on the other hand, I feel like if I am in Japan, and I have the time, I really should revisit it and give it another chance.

Does this sound like a good itinerary? Would it make sense to buy a JR pass? I think I would want a Green car (1st Class) pass due to traveling with a large bag, which seems to be about $500 for 7 days. Is there a better way/ more economical way to do this? Is there a different 8 day itinerary that would be suggested?

Also, if my Tokyo my last stop, is there a direct Shinkansen that goes from Tokyo to Kansai airport early enough in the morning to make an 11 am flight?

Thank you for the help!
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM

The first Shinkansen from Tokyo Station departs at 6:00a and arrives Shin-Osaka at 8:25a. Or an earlier trains from Shinagawa (also 6a dep) arrives a few minutes earlier at 8:19a.

A Haruka Limited express departs Shin-Osaka at 8:46a and arrives KIX at 9:35a. That's pretty much the earliest you can get to KIX from Tokyo by train in the morning. Very very tight, if not impossible for a 11am international departure, especially if you have luggage to check.

Anyways, a JR pass is generally not good for your type of itinerary. You'll most likely be better off with separate local passes and then just buy Shinkansen tickets separately. But others can give you specifics.
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:27 AM

>>I feel like if I am in Japan, and I have the time, I really should revisit it and give it another chance<<

Why?

There are lots of other interesting places to visit in Japan other than Tokyo and Kyoto.

Here is what I might do. Go to Kyoto for the four days. At the end of that put what I need for 4 days into a small bag and ship the big bag to Kansai airport. Then get a 4-day Sanyo Area Pass and visit Hiroshima and Miyajima and maybe Okayama, maybe Fukuoka.

What time of year are you traveling?

Or, instead of spending the last night in Kyoto, I would go to Osaka for the night. Maybe visit Osaka and Nara, go to Koyasan. Leave the big bag at the Osaka hotel and go off to Hiroshima and Miyajima. Come back for the last night at the hotel in Osaka.

I don't think a green car pass would really be necessary. How big of a bag is it?
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:37 AM

Or visit Kanazawa (with a stop on the way to visit the castle in Hikone). Or Shirakawago and Takayama.
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM

Yes, no need to go back to Tokyo......save it for your next trip

Utilizing the luggage forwarding service in Japan is just what you need.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

and luggage in general

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

You don't need a green JR 7 day pass as mentioned above. There is plenty of Japan for you to discover right around Kyoto and most recommendations depend on what time of the year you will be there as mentioned above.

Aloha!
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I will be going in early October. Due to a major holiday, and a major conference in Tokyo, I am going to skip Tokyo, and follow some of the advice offered above. I am spending two nights in Osaka, and four nights in Kyoto; I may have two additional days to see Hiroshima or some of the other suggestions given above.

Thank you!
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM

You might find some fall foliage in October - you need to do a bit of research - japan-guide.com's Fall Foliage reports should help....
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo11/
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM

Then JR Special Rapid Service, 28 min, 540 JPY, from Kyoto to JR Osaka station. Sanyo Area Pass, 20,000 JPY for four days and includes Nozomi shinkansen: www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_04.html
That pass also covers the limited express train from Osaka to Kansai Airport. There are other passes if you stay in the Kansai area.
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the additional information; it is very helpful.
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:17 AM

I think you should focus on the Kansai (western) area if you only have 8 days. Travelling between Osaka and Tokyo by Shinkansen is very expensive. You can forget taking Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka for just taking the flight. It is not worth it. Japan is a place to enjoy its culture, cuisine and the like.

I suggest you consider to spend 3 nights at Kyoto. Kyoto was Japan's capital for 800 years, before Tokyo. Most buildings and culutre are very well preserved. Spend one night at an onsen , Arima, a small town near Kobe. Then 2 nights at Kobe. Then the rest at Osaka, Wakayama, or Nara. If you stay in the Kansai area, you should consider renting a car. Rental car in Japan has GPS and reverse gear monitor as standard features. Driving in Japan is a pleasure.

Departing to Kansai airport from Osaka, Kobe, or Kyoto is fine, of course Osaka is closer. Forget Tokyo this time.