Shopping in Beijing

Old May 8th, 2000, 03:41 PM
Sue Whittemore

Shopping in Beijing

My husband and I are going to be in Beijing
in August and we would like advice on shopping. What kind of things are good buys
and where can they be obtained. We are
interested in comments about the Silk Alley.

Old May 9th, 2000, 04:28 AM
Michael

Sue,

Silk, jade, pearls are all good buys and can be found in several shops, the Friendship Store, etc. What types of items are you looking for?

The Silk Market is becoming less attractive as the years go by and the vendors realize what foreign shoppers will pay for their bargains. There still are good buys on silk & cashmere products and brand name (eddie bauer, etc.) seconds. The Russian Market is close to the Silk Market and also has some decent buys.

Michael

Old May 9th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Emily

I always like the Lufthansa Shopping Center. They have a big department store that carries good cashmere (not significantly cheaper than in the U.S., but low enough to be considered a bargain.) They also have a great fabrics department with some of the most beautiful silks that I've ever seen in China.

Old May 10th, 2000, 05:05 AM
Sarah

I was in Beijing about one and one half years ago, and I believe that Silk Alley is a place you should be wary. My favorite place to shop was Hong Quio. It's comparable to a huge indoor flea market. There is an entire floor that mostly consists of pearls. I bought some great things there; scrolls, dragon book ends, etc. There are tons of treasures in that place and it's easy to spend an entire day there and then go back for more. You can barter and do very well. I love Beijing. I hope to return someday. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old May 10th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Emily

Absolutely -- go to Hong Quio! (I couldn't remember the Chinese name, but I think the English translation is "Red Bridge Market") It's near the Temple of Heaven. Sarah is right, the top floor with the beads and pearls is a paradise! I bought myself a wonderful freshwater pearl necklace there a few years ago for only $100.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:16 AM
Noah Baer

Last summer my wife and I were in Beijing. The sales help in all stores are AGGRESSIVE and your guide will take you to various "factories" as part of your trip. Yes, his organization will get credit for bringing you and they will get a bonus at year-end (revealed to us by a candid guide). We were taken to a fresh water pearl factory on the way to the Great Wall and bought a few moderate items. When we returned to the US we discovered that the factory had used plastic "pearls" instead of small seed pearls or nonwhite pearls. Make sure to asked detailed questions of all sale help. Nonetheless, we had a great time and viewed haggling with the sales help as part of the ambience. Good luck.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 08:20 AM
Meg

I was at Silk Alley last week. It's fun to haggle and purchase some inexpensive souvenirs. Our guide told us that some of the seconds name brand stuff is real and some is fake and to inspect it all very carefully. We didn't buy any clothing but picked up some "beanie babies" for the kids for less than a $1 a piece. I also haggled over some silk pillow cushions that I'm sure I still paid too much for, but it was the experience of it as much as anything. Some of the copy watches were very good copies. I didn't spend much time in the Friendship Store but that was only b/c I ran out of time. You can't bargain there, but you definitely won't get ripped off when buying jade or jewelry there - if they say it's real, it's real. As for the "factories", I thought they were all a waste of time and figured that somebody was getting a percentage of anything we bought. We didn't go to any in Beijing, but in every other city, we were taken to at least one factory by our local guides. I guess the best shopping tip that I have is that, if you didn't buy something and you regret not getting it, you can probably find it at the airport - at least for the souvenir type items.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 12:20 PM
Emily

Anything that I ever bought on a "factory tour" turned out to be junk.

Old May 24th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Sharon

August in Beijing is hot as all get out! They are right when they tell you to go to Hong Qiao (pronounced Hong Chow). Buy jewelry from XiaoBai, off the escalator take a right, then a right, look for the pictures of Margaret Thatcher and others. Ling Ling is also a good vendor. From Xiao Bai's stall go straight back into the shops and on the right you will find Zhang's Textiles. They have fabulous embroideries. Zhangs and Xiao Bai both take Visa/MC. Silk alley is fun, but guard your purse and never take a first price, bargain hard. Don't go to the Russian market, the vendors are generally rude, prefer to sell in bulk and there are the notorious shoe shine boys who will accost you and put gunk on your shoes and harass you. For easier outing for stall sells go to San Li Tun and to the market across the street from Lido Holiday Inn. At Lido the shops are enclosed and there is Dunkin Doughnuts/BaskinRobbins nearby. For Thai food eat at the Lido, it is a lovely experience, get a table on the left, non smoking side. Asian Star is another good place to eat. For jewelry a good place to go is either Shard Box or Dragon House.
Can you tell I used to live there? Have a fun time. When you go to the wall, don't even glance at the vendors on your way up, you will get harassed and then have to carry everything with you. All will still be there on the way down and even then you may not want to look!!
Have fun. Good luck. You are welcome to email me if I can be of further assistance.

Old May 25th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Sarah

How could I forget about the Shard box? That is an excellent place to go. If you'd like anything or cutsom made, go there first, and by the time you are ready to depart, your jewelry will be done. I had a custom-made ring done at the Shard box and I love it. You can take in pictures of jewelry and have them duplicated, etc. I also had a custom-made suit that cost me only about $120, skirt, jacket, and blouse. I picked out all of the fabric and lining. and took in a suit I wanted duplicated. It was done perfectly and for a very far cry from the price that I paid for it in the US.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 04:44 PM
Tee

Hi, I agree with all of the above. The only thing that I feel compelled to add is that it is very helpful to take a Chinese person with you, if at all possible.

I purchased some beautiful jade on a recent trip, and even though I know a fair bit about it, the lowest I could get the store owner to go on a certain piece was $400.00. This was after 20 minutes of haggling. My Chinese friend walked in and bought it for $90.00, after only 3 or 4 minutes.

The average salary for a white collar worker in Beijing is only about $3,000.00, so they tend to give a better deal to Chinese nationals.

I find it works better in the markets, as well. My friend Liu knows what to look for in terms of flaws or cheap merchandise, and can be much more aggressive with the salespeople.

Have fun, as there are lots of bargains to be had. Never have I come home with an extra suitcase before that first trip to Beijing.

Regards,
T