Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Docked in Xingang for a day... what to do???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be docked in Xingang for a day but are excluded from taking a ship's tour since we're not disembarking but going on to Japan. We'd like to do an 8 hour private tour but the suggestions are the East Qing Tombs and/or the Huangyaguan Great Wall... or drive into Beijing and do a little sightseeing. Both ideas require a great deal of time and we don't want to miss the ship.

Any suggestions of what to do, would be really appreciated!
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:49 PM

I would also be interested in finding out what activities might be available in Xingang. Even finding out any info about the port itself is very difficult.
We will be docked for two days, so do have some additional time. We plan to do a ship's excursion to the Great Wall, but would like to do SOMETHING in the immediate area on the 2nd day. Hope to get some response. Thanks. mhm
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:34 PM

I have never been there, but I highly doubt there's anything to do. Xingang means "new port". It is in the municipality of Tianjin, kind of the port city of Beijing. You have to to go Tianjin center to see something.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:08 PM

I am wondering about the recent reply, that there is not much there. According to a site I found on Google, there was an international Youth Festival in Xingang in 2002. It looked like a pretty full agenda--of course, maybe it didn't happen. The site included a map of the city. Could there be more than one Xingang in China?I am continuning my research on Google to see what might come to light. mhm
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:18 PM

mercy - I did a Google search for "Xingang Youth Festival" and came up with one in the Chiayi County in SW Taiwan. It's definitely NOT the Xingang we're talking about here.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:22 PM

BTW, I did try pretty hard to find anything there. But all I came up with are port facilities. It's definitely not Newport, RI or Newport Beach, CA.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Yes, I figured this out, after a lot more Googling. Thanks for replying. mhm