Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Diving in Phuket VS. Khao Lak area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/diving-in-phuket-vs-khao-lak-area-986609/)

FedFun Jul 27th, 2013 09:51 AM

Diving in Phuket VS. Khao Lak area?

I am trying to decide which area is best for diving and enjoying the scenery in Thailand. We will be diving in Bali too, so I am looking for which area will be most interesting to explore in and out of the water. Thanks for any suggestions!

JulianoMelao Jul 27th, 2013 04:09 PM

Hey, i just read at divezone.net about dive in Thai and Indonesia..

I´m going to Dive this places like you next march and some Fodorities guys advise about dive from Khao Lak near Phuket.

About Bali i´m trying to find more info.

See ya.
Juliano

Hanuman Jul 27th, 2013 05:53 PM

I am a casual diver and IMO the best diving in the area of Phuket and Khao Lak are offshore locations requiring boat travel for hours from either places. The best dive sites, IMO, are Burma Banks (for advance diver) and the Similan Island.

Khao Lak will be closer to places like the Similan Island and it will be a lot more quite and peaceful than Phuket. At the same time Phuket will have access to Phanga Bay, Phi Phi and a lot of accommodation as well as dining choice.

MichaelBKK Jul 28th, 2013 06:18 AM

As Hanuman says, the best diving in the area are the Similans and Richlieu Rock, both of which are off-shore from Khao Lak, but far enough out that a day trip to go diving is a rather exhausting exercise that will consist of a lot more traveling than diving, even if you leave from Khao Lak. Most people enjoy the diving through live-aboard cruises lasting five to seven days. There are many boats available in many price ranges.

It's worth noting that many experienced divers I've talked to recently say the Similans aren't as good as they once were, due mostly to rampant illegal fishing. New divers still seem to enjoy them.

Alternatives include the 'southern' Andaman region, mainly Hin Daeng and Hin Muang off the southern tip of Koh Lanta. These are still far enough away to make a day trip a long proposition, but there are a few boats that do over-night live-aboards out of Lanta. Lanta is a lot quieter but still very scenic, which makes it a nice alternative to the more frenetic areas of Phuket, Phang Nga and Krabi.

JulianoMelao Jul 28th, 2013 06:36 AM

Tnks..

Is Koh Lanta easy to reach from Krabi?

I´m a advance diver but it´s the first time dive in Thai.

many tnks.

warmly,
Juliano

stitchintime Jul 28th, 2013 08:46 AM

Michaelbkk,
Any live aboard companies to recommend for the area you speak of?

MichaelBKK Jul 29th, 2013 05:14 PM

Lanta is easily reached from Krabi airport, although it can take up to a couple hours, due to two ferry crossings. There are regular shuttles from the airport. Alternatively, you can take a ferry directly to Lanta from Krabi town, also easily reached from the airport.

For live-aboards out of Lanta, a budget option is the Flying Seahorse. It's not lux, but for an overnight out of Lanta it's quite okay. A friend of mine owns AmazingLanta.com and he has a lot of good links for diving (since he is one) as well as how to get there.