Notices

Diving for beginners

Jun 26th, 2014, 04:46 AM
a59
Original Poster

Diving for beginners

I plan to arrive in Manila tomorrow and then come to Palawan shortly after. I've already gone snorkeling before, but I want to try out diving. Are there places in Palawan that offer diving for complete beginners like me? About how much training is usually required before its possible to go diving?
Jun 26th, 2014, 05:10 AM

I don't know specifics about that area but there are many dive shops which offer "resort courses" which are basically introductions to the underwater world. These basic courses usually take one full day and consist of three to four hours in the morning with a little bit of classroom work and then some time in a swimming pool learning how to use the scuba equipment.

Then in the afternoon you will go on one or two supervised dives with an instructor to see a beautiful (usually!) local dive site. That should whet your appetite to learn more.

These resort courses do not grant you full certification and you can go on more dives, but always under supervision. Should you want to do more, you can take a full certification course, usually four to five days, which will grant you full certification to dive pretty much anywhere in the world.

Three things to be aware of when selecting a resort course. First, always remember that diving without proper training and understanding can be hazardous so pay attention and don't joke around: your life depends on it.

Second, get recommendations from your hotel. If they have a dive operation at or near the hotel, who often will use the hotel pool, that's probably a good choice. Third, be sure your selected dive operation follows safe training procedures and, thus, is a member of a major dive training agency such as PADI, NAUI, TDI, SSI, or CMAS.

Oh yeah, have fun and enjoy the experience!

...NFZ (OW/Technical Instructor emeritus: PADI, NAUI, TDI)
Jun 26th, 2014, 08:31 PM
a59
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Do you know how much it will cost?
Jun 27th, 2014, 05:32 AM

Generally resort courses are in the US$100 range. Full certification courses can be anywhere from US$250-500

Search this Thread