Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Divana, dulaya, mandara..which spas do you like?

Oct 1st, 2004, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

I'm going crazy looking at all the web sites for spas! They all look fabulous in the photos. Prefer a moderately priced one, as there will be four of us, and we want to do a half day or so.
Thanks!
Lucy
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:22 AM

You want a spa where?

I have used Mandara spas in several locations in Thailand (Bangkok, Golden Triangle, Hua Hin) and have had wonderful experiences at all of them. I don't know the others.
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:56 PM

Mandara is great...I have seen Divana tho not had a treatment there...the setting is gorgoues. I lived in Bkk for a while and in general most spas are good...why don't u narrow down by location and size - u mentioned that there are 4 of u so ensure that the one u choose has 4 simultaneous treatment rooms of the kind u want.
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

I'm hoping my two daughters can do a double room while my husband & I do another. Any one have any favorite tratment? Honey wrap followed by cream bath sounds exotic ...
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:57 AM

I realized u have posted about the Davis - if u stay there stick with Dulaya, nothing like getting into an elevator and being in your spa - most relaxing way to start your spa experience. Def get a masage - either Thai or aroma in addition to your spa treatment as Thai masseuses are amazing.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM

I did a 3-hour spa package ($94) at the Divana Spa in February 2004. The ambience is great; the decor feels very Thai. The tea and cold towel when you arrive is definitely appreciated given the heat. Overall, a great experience.

I also had a couple of treatments at the spa in the JW Marriott (in Sukhumvit, not the river resort). It was significantly more expensive, and the ambience was elegant but blah. I think you end up paying more for the convenience of the spa being in your hotel, but overall the experience wasn't as good.

I've been to the Mandara Spa at the Sheraton in Krabi, Thailand (December 2003). Really beautiful decor. Some treatment rooms had outdoor showers in a little garden patio setting (very fun). Spa treatments were great, service was excellent. This was my first spa experience and I loved it.

If you can afford a Mandara Spa, it'll definitely be a great spa experience. But, the Divana Spa is a great value. The main difference I saw was that the Divana Spa didn't have the deluxe accessories the Mandara Spa had (large showers, outdoor showers, etc.)

Definitely get a bath of some kind! The "oriental bath" at the Divana Spa had flower petals floating on top of the water and was a memorable experience. I regretted passing up the "aromatic floral bath" at the Mandara Spa.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks- Divana is sounding better all the time!
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
CFW

I have been trying to contact the Mandara spa via the e-mail address posted on their web site & have had my e-mails returned. Also sent in a reservation request & have had no response. Does anyone have a current e-mail address so I can get a list of services & prices? I'm dreaming of a massage, a relaxing creamy wrap & outdoor shower... Thanks!
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:18 AM
CFW

Ignore the preceding post. Just received a response from Mandara to my inquiry using the reservation request form. They sent a complete description of treatments with price list. Lots of delicious sounding choices, To give you an idea of prices massages are around $50.
Oct 5th, 2004, 06:11 AM

Last year I bought a spa card at the Mandara spa, which gives you discounts on spa treatments and free two-hour treatments for two people. It's a great deal, but I don't know if they are still doing it. Since we stayed at two places with Mandara spas last trip was took full advantage of it!
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:09 PM

My daughter and I want to go to a spa in Bangkok - new experience for us. Where can I get details, prices on what they offer - wd like 3 or 4 hrs; do they have pkgs? Where is the Spa on 9th? Thanks for all the info everyone has posted on this site - so helpful.
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Institcher-'Spa on 9th' is off Sukhumvit soi 55, actually at 9 Thonglor 25. the tel is 662-712-7021 Fax:662-712-7022

We took the Skytrain to Thonglor station, then caught a cab to the Spa. The cab was $1 or $2 dollars.

The have about 10 packages that range from 3500 to 5700 baht and are from 2.5 to 3.5 hours. I had a de-Stress; at 3,500 baht it had a green tea salt scrub, a anti-oxidant rejuvenating Facial, and a swedish massage.

They also have ala carte massages: Swedish, Thai, aromatherapy, Siam Herbal heat, etc. one to two hours and priced from 1400 to 2200 baht.

When we were there in December, they had a lucky box for the ala carte treatments- after you chose yours, they let you draw from the box and get 10% to 50% off.

They also have body wraps, body scrubs, hydrotherapy baths and facials.

Really one of the nicest spas I've found anywhere..and just beautiful, clean and very nice employees who all speak some english. My husband & I were in one room and the daughters in another.
Jan 25th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

bTW- they don't have a web site, but if you go to this site, you can see some pictures.

www.sabaaygarden.com/main_under1.html

go thru Google and have the page translated, as it is a Japanese page. The words don't make much sense as translated by google, but you'll get the idea. It is the second spa on the page...the one with the golden toned picture of the fountain.
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Spa information for Mandara, both at Royal Orchid Sheraton and Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa is found on the hotel's website.

The Oriental's spa is very nice, (located across the river from the hotel) but pricey (so is Mandara, relatively speaking). I would recommend the Mandara Spa at the ROS, but not the one at the Marriott.
Jan 27th, 2005, 09:58 PM

Lucy and Spygirl, thank you for your excellent info.
Feb 4th, 2005, 11:00 AM
CFW

Just returned from Thailand, and LOVED everything about the Marriott Resort and spa except the Mandara spa. The treatments (very mediocre massage)and atmosphere were nothing special compared to other spas in Thailand, and it was much more expensive. The Spa on 9th is not very convenient if you are staying on the river, but it is much more inviting and better value. Next trip, hope to have time for more spa treatments in Bangkok. The spa I enjoyed the most was the Oasis in Chiang Mai. It is in a quiet garden setting and each of the lovely treatment rooms has its own private garden shower & bathing area. The Thai massage and other treatments were the best I've ever had! Prices were reasonable, too. Just got back from our trip, so I'm still a little disoriented, but when I get over the jet lag, I'll try to dig up the address & number. Highly recommend it.
Feb 4th, 2005, 11:20 PM
CFW

Oasis spa in Chiang Mai is at 102 Sirimuangkarajan Rd. Thee phone number is 0-5322-7494. They will send a car to pick you up. Their web site is www.chiangmaioasis.com.