Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Dithering over Tokyo Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/dithering-over-tokyo-hotels-821553/)

dreaming Jan 13th, 2010 01:12 PM

Dithering over Tokyo Hotels

I'm dithering over which Tokyo hotel to choose for a February trip to Japan.

There are 4 of us: me, DH, DS (11) and DD (8). We've decided to get two twin rooms rather than shoehorn the four of us into one room - mostly because if one kid wakes up from jet lag, it won't be long before everyone is awake. Hopefully a one or two of us might get some sleep in two rooms! But, since we need two rooms, I'm more sensitive to the price of each...

I'm holding reservations at the Prince Shinagawa ($122 per room, upper floor, main tower). I settled on this hotel because it's convenient to the JR station, close to many restaurants, activities, and had a favorable rate. Tripadvisor tends toward very good, with as many average ratings as excellent...

The dithering comes in because the Prince Park Tower has a special where I could get a standard room for $155/night. It gets primarily excellent ratings on tripadvisor, expedia, etc. And sounds to be a nicer hotel overall. But, the location feedback says its not the most convenient location... not close to restaurants, further to JR station, subway, etc. And I'd be looking at getting the "standard" room here.

We'll be at the hotel for three nights - the night we arrive in NRT, then two full days, leaving the next morning to go to Kyoto by rail. At the top of the sightseeing lists are: DD (an Eiffel Tower fan) has her heart set on seeing Tokyo Tower; DH wants to go to the Tsukiji Fish Market; and, DS wants to go to Sega Joypolis.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the hotel choice?

Thank you!

hawaiiantraveler Jan 13th, 2010 04:03 PM

I have not stayed at either but have been by both on the bus. Your DD would love the PPT as the rooms have wonderful views of the Tokyo Tower but I would pick the PS for the location, location, location

Aloha!

lcuy Jan 14th, 2010 08:57 AM

In Tokyo, I'd go for the better location. Especially with four of you. Even the average hotels in Japan are a lot nicer than you'd expect. Not to mention, you'll save about $250 -- $33 per night + tax x 3 nights x 2 rooms.

dreaming Jan 14th, 2010 02:09 PM

Thank you HT & Lcuy... It's never a bad thing to find that the cheaper option is the better choice! Especially since I'm sure I'll find lots of ways to spend that $250 :)

kotoanne Jan 14th, 2010 03:48 PM

I'd go with the location, too. And it's not a bad hotel by any means!

nickn Jan 14th, 2010 08:10 PM

I go with the location. In Tokyo, a good access to subway is gold.

Leslie_S Feb 9th, 2010 11:53 AM

hi dreaming - i'm butting in here to plead with you to finish your wonderful trip report - i'd love to hear more about HCMC. any chance?

dreaming Feb 9th, 2010 05:11 PM

Leslie - I'll give it a shot. At least the chances of me finishing it are better before I go to Japan rather than after!

To update on the Tokyo hotel: We leave in 4 days (4 sleeps)! I briefly switched my reservation over to the Prince Sakura Tower when they had a special rate of $133; but was lured back to the Prince Shinagawa when their rate dropped to $104/night.

Sinagua Feb 18th, 2010 08:44 AM

Hi dreaming,

Would like to hear about your stay at the Prince Shinagawa hotel. I will be in Tokyo for 3 nights in April then off to Beijing and would like to know how your stay was. There's deal for a main tower room with a twin, all I need.

I've read that there's a bus for the hotel from the NRT, do you know if there's a fee? How do I pre-book it? Also, someone else mentioned that there is a fee to use the pool, do you know how much it was? I'm a swimmer so I'm sure I'll hit the pool if the fee is reasonable.

Thanks!