Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Discount from full fare--if travel to family funeral?

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 05:38 PM
joe Manning

MY son lives in Tokyo. My father is 89 and his health is questionable. Does anyone know if the airlines give any discount from full fair in the event that my son has to come home for his grandfather's funeral?

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 09:45 PM
Bart

Hi Joe, <BR> <BR>Sorry to hear about your father. <BR> <BR>Airlines in North America should have discounts for compassionate travel. Check with a local carrier who has flights to Tokyo - I don't know if overseas carriers have the same policy. The discount should apply even after full fare has been paid and the trip completed. You will have to produce a copy of receipts for funeral expenses or similar paperwork as proof. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>Bart

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Megan

Most Amercian major airlines offer special fares for this reason. HOWEVER, I highly recommend to ask 1)what the regular fare or most economical fare would be, then 2) this special fare. For eco. fare, the restrictions might not work for you. Therefore, ask the agent to offer something with less restrictions, that still work for you. You might be surprised to find out sometimes the special fare is actually higher. I heard from other people at first but didn't believe it. I then saw it on one of those shows like 20/20 or 48hours reporting such subject. The special fare sometimes were offered as a reduced fare from Business or first class only, while you could be in Coach with much cheaper fares.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Megan

Continental Airline flies non-stop from Tokyo to Houston. I know there are more American airlines flying this route too.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 04:03 AM
joe Manning

Many thanks for your thoughtful responses <BR>Joe

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Bennie

I have had occasion to ask for a bereavement fare twice on American Airlines, and both times they put me on hold while they checked with the funeral home. So I would suggest you be prepared to provide some means for the airlines to verify the necessity for the special fare.