Disappointed in National Geographic

Aug 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Disappointed in National Geographic

Below is an email I just sent to the editiors of National Geographic:

"I have been a long time fan and supporter of National Geographic Magazine and National Geographic Traveler. I look forward to receiving both magazines every month.

I also receive numerous requests to “renew my subscription” well in advance of my subscription’s expiration date. Usually I do not look at these envelopes until it is time to renew. Imagine my dismay when I opened one of the many envelopes and read the “Memo from Chris Johns, Editor” and saw the following:

“Dear Valued Member:
You are invited to…
Investigate the mysteries of lightening…
Explore the legacy of Charles Darwin…
Visit Thailand’s Angkor Wat Temples…

I am shocked and disappointed that a magazine of this caliber could make such a mistake as to place Cambodia’s magnificent temples in Thailand. How is it possible that this error was missed and sent to probably tens of thousands of subscribers? I know national Geographic is a respectable organization, but how could Editor Chris Johns let something like that go out with his name on it? My faith in the fact checking capabilities of the organization has been tested. I do hope you print a correction."

Did anyone else get this? Quite a shocking error, isn't it? Not enough to make me cancel my subscriptions or anything like that, but I felt I just had to comment.
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM

hey---he only reads the europe board....
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Pretty appalling, I'd say. Good for you for writing to them!
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Yes, it is terrible how they misspelled lightning.
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Mrwunrfl-Doh! That was me! Oops! Still, I am stunned at their lack of geographical sense.
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Well... there are those here in the land of smiles that believe those temples 'belong' to Thailand. Every time they visit Wat Phra Kaeo, they're reminded that Siem Reap ('Siamese Victory') was once part of the realm of the lords of life.
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Anybody see the episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where Larry David suspected the weatherman of forecasting rain so he could have the golf course to himself? Same deal. The NG editor wants to go to Angkor Wat and he's sending the hordes to Thailand.
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks for getting on them Kristina. I agree that it's pretty silly for National Geopgraphic to not know where Angkor Wat is.

Right now as tensions are escalating at the border, it's a particularly insensitive time to be making those kinds of errors.

Regarding all the fuss over who these temples belong to:

In a land where there is a very long history of border disputes, conquests and ancient civilizations rising and falling, you can go to any point in history and correctly say that parts of thailand once belonged to the Khmer Empire or that parts of Cambodia once belonged to Thailand. Which border, which point in history do you choose as the right one?

I pray every day that our thai and cambodian friends will keep a cool heart. Both sides have brought guns to sacred places...both sides have forgotten that the temples belong only to the Gods they were built to honor.

OK sorry about the rant.
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM

I love curb your enthusiasm....one of my favorite shows and I can't wait for it to return....

and that was a great episode....!
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks for your comments, Lori.