Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Dining in Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/dining-in-bangkok-533016/)

MiniAK May 31st, 2005 08:37 AM

Dining in Bangkok

Hi…I´m planning to stay for two days in BKK in August and then move on for a four day trip to Phuket. In BKK, after reading all the review will mostly take one of the hotels at the riverside… One day we will be visiting the major tourist sites like the Grand Palace, Wat Pho etc.. and then spend half a day shopiing. Wanted help as to where to dine for the four meals

1.We are vegetarian
2.Not choosy about the cuisine. Would not mind trying four different cuisines for the four meals
3.Plan to have one dinner on any one of the river cruises - Ideas needed
4.One meal {dinner} at any of the restaurants of the Big hotels - ideas needed
5.Lunch on day 1 - ?
6.Lunch on Day 2 - ?

Thanks…

BillT May 31st, 2005 09:02 AM

I would skip having dinner on the river cruises- many have posted on this forum that the food is nothing to rave about.
The cruise itself might be worthwhile as long as your expectations on the food are set appropriately.

rhkkmk Jun 1st, 2005 03:19 AM

harmonique for one dinner is a must...lots of veggie selections

biscotti at 4 seasons has some veggies choices

all the major hotels have buffets at both lunch and dinner so there would be lots to choose from there...

MiniAK Jun 1st, 2005 04:29 AM

Thanks Bob.. Hope you are enjoying your holiday…
I'm aware that all the major hotels would have lunch or dinner but I don’t want to have a meal at those places more than once……Wanted to try something new..

Day 1 - Lunch at Biscotti
Day 1 – Dinner – Harmonique

Day 2 – Lunch ?
Day 2 – Dinner - ? Was thinking of having dinner at one of the river cruise but after BillT’s opinion I’m again put in a tight spot).

Please help..Also I have posted a message about Koh Samui hotels… Will be glad if you or the other great fodorites (JamesA, Carol, etc) can help…
Thanks

MiniAK Jun 1st, 2005 04:33 AM

Sorry bob,
Just saw that you have replied to my Koh samui message... thanks. Actaully I checked the rates and availability for anantara for August and the dates I mentioned, they said it was booked!! I just hope its an error.. I thought I was pretty early even though August is a peak season.

simpsonc510 Jun 1st, 2005 06:47 AM

What about doing your lunch at Food Loft at the Central Chitlom dept store? Bob said he was glad I had recommended it to him. Also, Face for dinner, or what about The Bed Supper Club? There are sooooo many good choices. It is hard to pick!
Carol

Guenmai Jun 1st, 2005 07:07 AM

I've been a (semi) vegetarian...since the mid 70s... who keeps my system able to digest fish...for travel reasons and because I like fish...I was macrobiotic for years,in which fish is allowed... but I don't consume dairy( deadly allergic). Anyhow, in Bangkok even if you find what looks like vegetarian food, a lot of the time it might have some kind of meat/poultry stock in it or small pieces of meat/poultry... I'll eat fish before taking a chance on meat/poultry stock. I detest the taste of meat/poultry plus it makes me very sick...the body can't take it anymore. I eat regularly at Biscotti in the Four Seasons since I stay there...and the other restaurants within the Four Seasons. It's the only hotel that has been able to produce soy milk for me, at breakfast.It's a regular item there. Not one other hotel...five star included...that I've stayed at... has had soy milk. It's nice to be able to have a big bowl of cereal in the morning.I eat VERY well at the Four Seasons and they have been most accomodating to my few meal requests. Happy Travels!

MiniAK Jun 1st, 2005 09:41 AM

Thanks Carol... I think Ill take that option unless there are any other suggestions..
Guenmai, even I am worried that we might face a problem with veg food. We dont have eggs or fish... Thats why I was hoping people come with some suggestions..

simpsonc510 Jun 2nd, 2005 05:24 AM

mini

I was impressed that the Bed Supper Club wait staff, before serving you a "surprise" meal (I forget which week end night that surprise menu was) came around and asked if there was anything you could NOT eat. That was something I won't forget, since I have some rather strange allergies to some foods. (I can give menu listings for The Bed if anyone is interested, as I always carry my journal and write things down)

I have not eaten at Face, but my son recommended it, and sounds like Bob was thoroughly impressed too.

At Food Loft, you pick and choose from so many types of items. It's a food court, but with a difference. You can easily do a vegetarian meal. Make sure you try to get a table by the window so you can watch the city!

Carol

MiniAK Jun 3rd, 2005 09:02 AM

Thanks Guys.. I was very worried about food as lot of people told me that Veg food is a proble. Considering the nmber of options u guys have given me I guess I should not have a problem.

glorialf Jun 3rd, 2005 10:28 AM

I have a friend who just came back from 2 weeks in Thailand. She is a vegetarian and she said she had absolutely no problem.