Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Digital Photography (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/digital-photography-155476/)

Kitty Feb 5th, 2002 02:18 PM

Digital Photography

Just got a digital camera for my b-day and planned on using it to take lots of photos in Thailand and Cambodia. Problem is that a memory disc doesn't hold much in the way of photos which are printable quaility. Has anyone purchased memory discs in Thailand? Are they a lot cheaper and easy to find? Would I be better off just taking a 35mm camera?

Apiwat Feb 5th, 2002 05:59 PM

Hi Kitty,<BR><BR>Memory discs for digital cams are widely available in Bangkok. You can purchase them at most major department store. Not sure about Cambodia. I use Sony memory stick and they are cheaper here then in Japan. Post your camera make and mod. and I'll check the price for you(give me a day and I'll post the price here).<BR><BR>I travel with digital cameras also and the best way of making sure that you have enough capacity is to bring along a lap top. I download the photos every day, apart from using the lap top for other purposes.<BR><BR>Apiwat

x Feb 6th, 2002 05:17 AM

I believe there is also a zipdrive that allows you to download digital photos onto it without the use of a laptop - would be much more compact and much cheaper.

philip Feb 6th, 2002 05:51 AM

You might want to think about bringing your 35mm, as well. <BR><BR>The cost of development for digital photos can be more expensive than regular prints. In addition, if you print them off your cown computer, I've heard that those prints are known to fade over time. I you plan on taking numerous photos, I'd take most with the 35mm and save digital for photo that you might want to send to friends.<BR><BR>Don't get me wrong, I think my digital is great and use it to photograph my kids all the time. But, I don't use it for everything (like scenary) because the standard digital doesn't have as many pixels as a 35mm. As I understand it, that means that the colors won't be as sharp.<BR><BR>There was a long-thread on the U.S. forum a few weeks ago about digital cameras. One of the posters writes for a photo magazine and had some sound advice.<BR><BR>Good luck and have fun in Asia.

Grant Feb 6th, 2002 09:40 AM

I am going to Hong Kong next month and plan to take both my digital and 35mm. The beauty of the digital is that you can immediately see your picture and if you do not like it erase it...so ultimately all your picture will be good ones.

Lani Feb 6th, 2002 05:31 PM

Hi Kitty,<BR><BR>My husband bought along an extra large capacity memory disc so he didn't have to bring along his laptop. I think it was ~ 128 megabytes?

Sandy Feb 7th, 2002 05:37 AM

I just bought a compact flash card (128mg) on Ebay for less than $50, brand new, in the wrapper.<BR><BR>There's a lot of them, it took me a few days of bidding before I scored one. Cheap place to buy.<BR><BR>Sandy

Lani Feb 7th, 2002 10:39 AM

That's a good price you got Sandy. I think we bought ours at Costco for ~ $75. After we got back from our trip, we saw it at Fry's for ~ $45 ;-0...so deals are out there!

Pat Feb 8th, 2002 12:55 PM

I use a Sony and just purchased Lexmark memory from Amazon 128 meg for $69 with a $15 rebate. The user comments said it worked great, just like a sony. I an Off to Thailand and am taking both. My SLR broke last year in China and I had to buy a new one in Bejing. Price was the same or a smidge more than in California

Sandy Feb 8th, 2002 02:02 PM

. . . now, if we could just find processing into prints for 25 cents or less!<BR><BR>Costco was suggested but we don't have one where I live and one can only upload 3 at a time to their website . . . would take forever.<BR><BR>Has anyone found any other places for about 25 cents? (Photoworks and Photo Access are both 45 cents; Shutterfly and Ezeprints are 49.)<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Sandy

Vicki Feb 8th, 2002 08:46 PM

Walmart.com allows you to upload 5 at a time and charges 26 cents.<BR><BR>Not a huge improvement, but still.