Notices

Dengue in India

Nov 24th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Dengue in India

Hi All:
Am considering a trip to southern India for the first two weeks of January but the recent reports of a widespread dengue outbreak in India have me worried. Does anyone have any first-hand information about this? I checked the CDC but they have not issued a strong warnig which could of course be political.
Galina
Nov 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM

I read a report from the WHO about dengue in India in the last couple of weeks. Dengue is endemic in much of the tropics. The mosquitos that carry dengue are urban mosquitos and they are most active during the day. Use a good repellant.

I there has always been dengue in India. The WHO was concerned because India is not reporting the true incidence, only maybe 10% of actual cases. I have never seen the cdc issue a warning not to travel somewhere because of an outbreak; they simply recommend that you exercise prudent precautions. Nor does the cdc issue warnings based on politics.
Nov 25th, 2012, 05:19 AM

Agree with Kathie - Dengue fever (and other tropical fevers) has always been in India, it's just report more in the media. You shouldn't change your plans. Mosquitoes are at their lowest in January because it's the coolest month.

Search this Thread