6 full days in Bangkok in May

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 full days in Bangkok in May

Hi everyone,

I plan on spending 6 full days (i.e. 6 nights) in Bangkok in May. (I will be flying to Manila --> Bangkok --> Hong Kong).

I just wanted to see if anyone thinks 6 full days is a good number of days to spend in Bangkok, or if it is too many. I see that fellow Fodorites do not seem to be that fond of Chiang Mai. I am curious to know if there are specific reasons why?

If I do not go anywhere else and just spend 6 full days in Bangkok, are there any specific day trips that you recommend? (I think there are no elephants near Bangkok, is this correct?)

According to wikitravel, they recommend the following day trips (are there any specific ones that I should consider more than the others?) For these day trips, I was just going to book them when I arrive in Bangkok. (Are there any specific tour operators I should stay away from?)

Amphawa
Ayutthaya
Bang Pa-In
Damnoen Saduak
Hua Hin
Kanchanaburi
Ko Kret
Nakhon Pathom
Phetchaburi

I have read through numerous Bangkok threads so far and feel quite overwhelmed because there is so much information. There seems to be so much to do in Bangkok! I am so excited for my trip
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM

I think 6 days in Bangkok is just fine. There is so much to see and do, you don't even need day trips outside the city to fill your time.

Not knowing your interests, it is hard to make recommendations. I don't like the floating markets as they are very touristy.

There are no elephants you want to see near Bangkok.

Ayutthaya is a nice day trip if you are interested in lovely ruins. Do take the boat one direction.

I wouldn't do a day trip to Hua Hin. If you want some time at the beach, stay a night or two.

Some people love Chiang Mai, others do not. I find it not as interesting as Bangkok. The lack of public transportation makes it not so convenient to get around, and the air pollution bothers me.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help! I will stick to 6 days in Bangkok then, with Ayutthaya as an optional side trip.

I will research more for hotels etc and maybe will post another question later on.

Thanks!
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 06:49 PM

We are going in December. We'll keep you posted what we see or find in Bangkok.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

onetwothreefourfive: thanks, that would be great!

Just curious, which hotel are you staying at?

I am booking some at booking.com right now (since the cancellation policy is good). I heard that agoda is not as good for cancellations
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 08:19 PM

6 days will be perfect in bkk.. today it is warm and sunny here..

no need to leave bkk at all.. get a good hotel with a nice pool, preferably one on the river... i am staying at anantara riverside and it is wonderful.. just came out of pool.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM

Agreed with the others, that 6 days in Bangkok is great. For Bangkok activities, I did the following itinerary for another traveler and would also like to share with you: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...8/#post-184791

There are elephant parks around Bangkok, like Sampharan Park. A day trip to Ayutthaya to see the elephant is also an idea , if you like that sort of activity. Other locals, such as Hua Hin are good and recommended if you have more than a week to visit Thailand.

Chiang Mai is interesting especially the walled city with its ancient temples, Doi Suthep and its temple, and (somewhat) the night market. It has its by-the-river entertainment with Khun Took at Le Brasserie playing classic rock and Thai favorites, and other venues. Also,the smiling monkey for very good late night entertainment with the locals. There is also the human zoo of the long neck tribes-people, and the abusive elephant parks/trekking, but I don't encourage those. And that's about all there is in Chiang Mai ... done in 3-4 days max!
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 03:39 PM

6 days in BKK is enough actually, though I stayed there for the whole week. Anyway, you can consider visiting these places while you are there,

1. The Grand Palace in Bangkok
2. The floating market
3. Samphran Elephant Ground and Zoo
4. Nong Nooch Village
5. Bang Pa-in Palace
6. The Ruins

I've been there myself and I really enjoyed them. Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 09:31 AM

Kathie, you mentioned that you don't like Chiang Mai because of the air pollution. Is that correct? I would assume that BKK has more air pollution as a larger city. Just trying to get more info as I plan my trip. We were thinking of going to Chiang Mai.
Thanks!
--Natalie..