Delhi to Jaisalmer

May 18th, 2018, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Delhi to Jaisalmer

Planning a trip to India in January. looking for best way to get from Delhi to Jaisalmer. There is a nonstop flight and a one stop fight on Spicejet. This seems to be a new route and the airline does not get the greatest reviews. Any suggestions? Maybe flying on better airline to Jodhpur and then driving?

We plan to go from Jaisalmer to Jodhpur and then to Jaipur.

Thanks!
May 18th, 2018, 01:24 PM

There is also a night train. See this site for info on train travel in India:

https://www.seat61.com/India.htm
May 18th, 2018, 01:44 PM

I flew SpiceJet and it was fine. If there was a flight between Delhi and Jaisalmer when we were there 5 years ago, I definitely would've taken it. The drive between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer is quite long, so doing it twice would be great to avoid. The train between Delhi and Jaisalmer might be an experience, but not likely restful, and it is a long ride.

Take the flight between Delhi and Jaisalmer if it is offered.
May 18th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
May 19th, 2018, 03:45 AM

The cost factor on a Spice Jet flight to Jaisalmer from Delhi should also be looked at. Since it is the only flight operating, these become at times prohibitive, as we recently found out while trying to plan travel from Jaisalmer to Delhi!
The best option is to fly into Jodhpur & then drive to Jaisalmer (175miles/5hrs) and the road as straight as the palm of your hand. You could also break your travels by overnight at Dechu.
I love that property The Ranvas at Nagaur Fort! See if fits into your scheme of things for a couple of nights stay...delightful!
Happy travels!
May 19th, 2018, 11:57 AM

I just checked Google flights and doublechecked on the Spice Jet website - the current one way fare in mid-January is $99 or starting from 6,475 inr.. We did that 5-hour drive twice and while it’s doable, I certainly would’ve preferred avoiding it both ways if there was another option. Certainly vpsingh knows India far better than me but perhaps this flight is so new that the rates vary a lot. Of course, since it’s India, who knows what will happen in another 7 months! ��
May 19th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
May 21st, 2018, 03:22 AM

Progol is quite right. It does not make a good itinerary doing Jodhpur to Jaisalmer distance, twice by road. My contention is that if the Spice Jet offers a Jaisalmer to Delhi flight initially at INR 5452/- (privilege class) and suddenly, after about a week when you actually decide to book up, the same ticket shows a price offer of INR 22000/-, I would rather travel back to Jodhpur and fly to Delhi @ Rs. 3500/- approx.This may well be one off case, but it does make one wise.