Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Delhi and travel: help an old lady? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/delhi-and-travel-help-an-old-lady-921139/)

indianewbie12 Jan 24th, 2012 12:46 PM

Delhi and travel: help an old lady?

OK, I'm not super old, but old enough to ask for help. PLEASE! Will someone offer the name of a middle-budget hotel in Delhi. I love to stay in a family atmosphere, and don't need anything fancy, but also don't want bugs or filth. Am old enough to want my own bathroom. I'm told I should be able to get this around ?$50/$60 a night? (I have traveled all over, including Iran and northern Morrocco, Greece and Europe -- but was young and strong then -- last year I had Cancer so I'm trying to be a bit careful this time) (If it matters, I speak French and some Spanish...)

Also, a driver or an agency with drivers/tours for small trips like to the Taj?

I would sooo very much appreciate your help!

Newbie12

qwovadis Jan 24th, 2012 02:54 PM

www.booking.com/city/in/new-delhi.en.html
Couple of clean central hotels Sunder and the Malik
But manybasedon pricepointalso free airport shuttle
Best to set up a nice guide through your hotel
when you get there many online scammers
www.otel.com asiarooms.com 2 other good sites.
Always use CC never wire money.

Good luck!

lcuy Jan 24th, 2012 05:30 PM

Not sure what they charge, but this is a nice clean place with AC and private baths in a nice part of Delhi:

http://www.ahujaresidency.com/sa_delhi.html
My daughter lived here for a month and I stayed for two nights.

rhkkmk Jan 24th, 2012 07:16 PM

i would be quite suspect of accomodations in that price range in delhi, without first hand referals, which you may get here.

check with castle and king for help with side-trips... google them.

CaliNurse Jan 24th, 2012 09:51 PM

since you liike a family atmosphere, instead of hotel, do homestay . Check tripadvisor under "bed and breakfast" for some idea. Good ones in New Delhi are $75-$100

travelaw Jan 25th, 2012 09:40 AM

Delhi Bed and Breakfast is perfect for you. I've stayed there as has my daughter. $70 a night, family atmosphere, clean, private bathrooms.

http://delhibedandbreakfast.com/

Driver: Ramesh Meena at India by Car and Driver -- or Delhi B&B can arrange too.

http://www.indiabycaranddriver.com/
Mob: +91-9829807074
[email protected]

dogster Jan 25th, 2012 10:17 AM

I'm an old lady too. lol.

Just prepare yourself for the fact that, in India, hotel prices are staggeringly high. Supply and demand. Someone once told me there are more hotels in Florida than in the whole of India. I'm not sure that's accurate - but you get the picture.

Let me drop in www.mahindrahomestays.com as a perfect solution. As CaliNurse says - it's the way to go for old ladies. lol. If you look in there under 'Itineraries' you might find some interesting ideas. Trust travelaw.

French and Spanish will get you absolutely nowhere in India. A big smile, a wiggle of the head and a canny, sharp eye will suffice.

O.K. forget the wiggle. I don't think it's an old lady thing.

Craig Jan 25th, 2012 01:28 PM

Do use www.mahindrahomestays.com for research. I found that it is generally cheaper though, to book directly - most of the places mentioned on the site have websites and e-mail.

dogster Jan 25th, 2012 01:31 PM

I didn't know that Craig. Great suggestion.

indianewbie12 Jan 25th, 2012 09:28 PM

Thank you all so very much for your kind replies! These places sound perfect!

Family and friends are trying to talk me out of this trip, in terms of safety -- any comments? (Not in terms of my age or condition just in terms of India herself.)

many many thanks!

Newbie12

indianewbie12 Jan 25th, 2012 09:32 PM

(PS to Dogster -- by any chance are you from the Oakland area? I'm wondering if we know each other...)

rhkkmk Jan 26th, 2012 05:39 AM

security is not an issue really

budgtt Jan 26th, 2012 06:54 AM

I will suggest Hotel Balaji Delux and Hotel Ajanta in Paharganj area where most budget tourists stay. They are reasonably priced and suitable for family stay as well. Wish you luck.

dogster Jan 26th, 2012 10:20 PM

Hi newbie - nah, you don't know me. I'm not American. I'm not from anywhere, really, any more. Lost In Translation.

Now, your friends are simply exhibiting every ridiculous terror about India that people who don't know what they are talking about tend to do. The topic of India brings out unnecessary fear in those who eat fear for breakfast. The travel industry is built on fear. So, in my opinion, is America - but that's another topic.

I was recently on an epic and ridiculous cruise in the company of epic and ridiculous people - all heading for India. A great many of them were too scared to get off the boat unless in the company of 35 others, preferably on a bus tour when their feet barely even touched the ground. India was seen and judged through the windows of a bus.

Don't let fools dictate your travels - well, only the fools in here. We are, at least, well traveled fools.

You can pop in here to see the India adventures of this one:
http://thedogster.wordpress.com/

You will be fine. India will probably reduce you to a gibbering wreck on at least one occasion, but that's part of the glory of the place. If you're feeling nervous, go with your own car, driver and mobile phone - just as almost everybody here has done - errr... except me. You may find Mr. Dogster's travel style a little too idiotic for you. I certainly did. Alas, I wake up idiotic each day.

indianewbie12 Jan 28th, 2012 09:17 PM

All the the helpful comments and suggestions are really, really appreciated. Would totally love any names for tour guides as I like to do a tour the first day, then strike out on my own the next day or two

Actually I was doing fine till I started reading about all the danged ways you can get sick there. Now, before you jump all over me -- two years ago I was on chemo and came close to dying twice with low blood count... and was in pain that delaudid didn't get rid of.... so it's not that I'm afraid of dying (after my daughters wedding next month lol) -- but I sure am scared of getting really sick again.

Realistically I will probably go, but I am now thinking of upgrading just slightly so there is less risk of food- related illness at least. (I can deal with mosquitos).

Again, many, many thanks!

IndiaNewbie12

lcuy Jan 28th, 2012 09:54 PM

I've been to India five times in the last 6 or seven years, always during my 6 week break between chemo treatments. I've not gotten seriously ill in India, likely because I am more careful about washing my hands than I am at home.

Get good travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions, get current on your immunizations, then go and have fun. Wash your hands frequently, and think before you eat.

crosscheck Jan 28th, 2012 10:09 PM

dogster, I just checked out your very cool site and read your Bruno story - Just the kind of travel adventure we need more of here. Well done (the writing, not the mishap). Looking forward to reading more.

indianewbie12 Jan 29th, 2012 12:56 PM

lcuy: G*d bless you if you can walk, let alone travel between chemo treatments, even with six weeks off. I had to cancel a NY trip scheduled six weeks after treatment, but luckily I did have insurance. (I certainly won't travel to Asia without it!) You are very impressive!

IN12

LAleslie Jan 29th, 2012 01:09 PM

Dogster, I note lots of comments removed here. Is your stalker at it again? Hope not...

Indianewbie: Take usual sanitary precautions such as not eating uncooked veggies and fruits w/skin on, no ice, bottled water only (make sure there are unbroken seals on bottles), etc. Same as you would do in many third world countries. No worries.

You will be amazed and amused and appalled at every turn in India.

thursdaysd Jan 29th, 2012 01:35 PM

indianewbie12 - unlike dogster I'm an actual old lady - well, in my sixties, at least. I also travel in India without always having a car and driver. I fact, I usually do better without the car and driver. For my recent trip to India see http://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/...20/into-india/ or click on my name for my TR here.

In addition to LAleslie's advice, make sure your food is really hot. Both dogster and I have been felled by tepid chicken.