Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Degrees of perfection: Maiton Island or Pimalai Island resort? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/degrees-of-perfection-maiton-island-or-pimalai-island-resort-541547/)

chicago999 Jul 4th, 2005 12:55 PM

Degrees of perfection: Maiton Island or Pimalai Island resort?

Am considering both of these lovely resorts -- The Maiton Resort on Maiton Island (off Phuket) or the Pimalai Island resort which you get to from Krabi. Will be there in February for four nights following time in Bangkok and Chaing Rai. Want quiet,low key, good food and nice beach. Both have received nice comments on this site.

CFW Jul 4th, 2005 01:37 PM

Can't speak about the Maiton Resort, but we thought the Pimalai was certainly our idea of perfection. We were there the first week in February and the weather was glorious. It is isolated, but total relaxation with a beautiful wide beach, clear water, lovely infinity pool, a dream tropical spa with to-die-for Thai massages, and also fabulous facials, etc. Food was delicious and varied, accommodations were lovely, and the hotel staff makes it very special. Were supposed to stay three days and then go to Samui, but we loved it so much we extended our stay and never got to Samui at all! Next time...

chicago999 Jul 4th, 2005 01:49 PM

thanks for the info on Pimalai. Are meals expensive?

CFW Jul 4th, 2005 02:11 PM

An extensive breakfast buffet is included. There are two chefs - one Belgian and the other Thai, so the breakfast breads and pastries are all freshly made and delicious, and there are eggs and omelets, cheeses, various types of ham, Thai noodles, fresh fruit and fresh squeezed juices, etc., etc. Delicious salads and other light choices for lunch - about $15 for two with iced tea, cold drinks. Depending on what you order, dinners are about $35 - 45 for three course meal (appetizers, main course, dessert) for two with beer. We had mainly seafood and Thai dishes though I think my husband ordered rack of lamb one night, which he enjoyed. Wine is expensive in Thailand and we weren't sure how good it would be. You will have a wonderful time in Thailand!

01pat23 Jul 5th, 2005 11:47 AM

I loved both hotels but I think Pimalai just has the edge on Maiton. If you go to Pimalai, try and get a beach front cottage.
If you go to Maiton Resort, please let me know if there are still ducks on the pond!! From Maiton, it is quite easy to get the resort boat (1 or 2 per day) to the mainland for shopping.

Have a good trip

JamesA Jul 5th, 2005 11:56 AM

Chicago, these locations are very different.

Pimalai is on Koh Lanta island which is a relatively quiet but very nice island in it's own right.

The Maiton Island resort however is on a small island off the coast of Phuket, as O1Pat said you can get across to mainland Phuket easily.

So they are different, at the Pimalai you are on a quiet island with other resorts, restaurants and some local shopping, at the Maiton you are on an 'offshore' island 'within' the Phuket area if you get what I mean.

if you want quiet then Koh Lanta but if you want a place that is quiet itself but within reach of busy area the Maiton.

Are those the only choices you have?

Elainee Jul 5th, 2005 02:44 PM

+I thought we were the only Fodorite to stay at Maiton. We were there 10 years ago. At that time it was a Japanese family resort. Only one other couple when we were there was Western. The food was Japanese. Nothing to do but enjoy the beach or play tennis. A bit too quiet for me. We loved Rayavadee (I hope it reopens).

chicago999 Jul 6th, 2005 06:21 AM

Very helpful posts, thanks. JamesA, I had narrowed my list down to these two; on an earlier thread you and others recommended the Chedi, Nakamanda, Tri's Boathouse. They all look great but being on an offshore island like Maiton or Koh Lanta appealed to me. We don't need to be in reach of the busy nightlife in Phuket.