Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   December Travel Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/december-travel-vietnam-cambodia-thailand-972922/)

LC_Female Apr 2nd, 2013 10:03 PM

December Travel Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand

Hi! Me and my backpacker friends are considering to go to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. We are Filipinos. We want to fly to Vietnam, go-inland transit to Cambodia and Thailand, and fly back to Philippines after 7 days.

I am thinking of the following details needed to plan out this trip:
* What is the best place to visit in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand?
* What is the cheapest transportation from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap, and Siem Reap to Bangkok?
* Thinking of these following destinations yet in mind: Lisu and Lanna for Elephant Camp (Thailand), Siam Ocean World (Bangkok), Angkor Wat (Cambodia), The Tonle Sap Lake (Siem Reap), Mekong Delta (Vietnam), River Ride to Chau Doc (Vietnam), Hanoi Escapade (Vietnam), do you think these are doable in 7 days? How much money should we prepare for it?
* What is the cheapest but safe hostels to those three countries?
* Is it possible we can pass through Laos too? What places to go to in that country?

I know this could be a lot, but I hope you can help me. I want it planned knowing the language differences, we might be lost when we get there (I hope not).

Thank you very much.

PS:you think, December 20-27 is a good timing for the travel?

Kathie Apr 3rd, 2013 05:26 AM

In seven days, you are planning to visit three countries? Choose just one. There is no way you could do all of these things in seven days. All of these places have plenty for you to do and see. Also, the end of December is the busiest and most expensive time to travel in these countries. Beach locations, especially, will have expensive accommodation. It is common for hotels and guesthouses near the beach to double their prices at this time of the year.

thursdaysd Apr 3rd, 2013 06:05 AM

1. Too many to list
2. Bus
3. No
4. Get a guidebook - Lonely Planet, Rough Guide and/or check hotelworld and hostelbookers
5. Not in seven days

If you speak English you should have no language problems, What you have is an itinerary problem. Seven days could be enough for Cambodia - Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, or Thailand - Bangkok and Chang Mai or an island, or Vietnam - Hanoi and Sapa or Halong Bay. It is NOT enough for three countries.

Kathie is also right about December. Your dates are the worst possible time for travel. Plus it will likely be cold and wet in northern Vietnam.

LC_Female Apr 3rd, 2013 06:15 PM

Thanks, this is a great insight, very helpful. Good thing we haven't booked anything yet. When could be the best time to go there? With no too much crowd and give us the cheapest rate for hostels?

Where to go in Phnom Penh? I read that it is 6 hours away from Siem Reap and Angkor Wat is nearer to Siem Reap than Phnom Penh.

LC_Female Apr 3rd, 2013 07:11 PM

Kathie, if I get it right, the hotel accommodation near beach would be more expensive during December? But if we might just cancel the beach, do you think prices of hostel in the urban would still go up?

Kathie Apr 4th, 2013 05:37 AM

prices for hotels everywhere will be highest the last two weeks in December. Skip the beach and go earlier in Dec, and prices will be pretty good.

If Angkor is what you want to visit in Cambodia, you will want to stay in Siem Reap. You could spend your whole week in Cambodia, visiting Angkor, Phnom Penh, and perhaps even a beach.

OR, you could go to HCMC and SIem Reap, taking the bus between them. But don't plan on more stops than that in a week.

thursdaysd Apr 4th, 2013 06:16 AM

If you take the bus from Saigon to SR, you will want to spend a night in PP on the way. You might have to. I would take a boat for the Saigon to PP leg - more interesting. Try Delta Adventure Tours.