Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Davis Boutique Bangkok or Oriental (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/davis-boutique-bangkok-or-oriental-639744/)

nancydarst Aug 16th, 2006 05:25 PM

Davis Boutique Bangkok or Oriental

We are trying to decide whether or not to save some $ and stay in the Davis Boutique Hotel or should we spurge and stay at the Oriental? Has anyone stay at the Davia?

rhkkmk Aug 16th, 2006 05:46 PM

some will chime in about the davis...some like it....it is mid range really...it is not as convenient as you might like...requires quite a walk to the skytrain...

there are many hotels between these two quality wise....

i myself prefer the marriott resort and spa on the river....i prefer the peninsula to the oriental also, although i have yet to stay at the oriental...i just like their attitude better...

the majestic grande on soi 2 sukhumvit is more central than the davis and a tad nicer i think for about the same money and newer

eurotraveller Aug 16th, 2006 07:06 PM

We stayed at the Davis in Feb. and it was a nice room and the location wasn't bad but it wasn't special. We much preferred the Centre Point Silom Serviced Apartments over the Davis.

Guenmai Aug 16th, 2006 07:08 PM

I haven't stayed at the Davis, but have stayed at the Oriental and like the Oriental. As for the Davis, it's further than I'd want to walk to the skytrain. It's down the street from the apartment building I stay in at Sukumvit soi 24 area...so I know the area well and have passed it in a taxi. If I were you, I'd get closer to a skytrain station. If you select a non-river hotel, then I highly recommend the Four Seasons with the Rajadamri skytrain station directly across the street and a LOT closer to things than the Davis. If it were my first time to Bangkok and I were to do tourist types of things, then I wouldn't pick the Davis' location. Happy Travels!

Kathie Aug 16th, 2006 07:28 PM

The Davis and the Oriental aren't in the same class at all. If you want a luxury hotel, the Oriental is for you. If you want a more moderately priced hotel, there are many with better locations than the Davis. Personally, I prefer to be along the river. The Oriental is just one of several choices along the river. If you choose not to be along the river, Guenmai is right: choose a place next to the Skytrain. The Four Seasons is lovely, and there are other options as well that have that kind of convenience to the Skytain.

crellston Aug 17th, 2006 02:15 AM

We stayed at The Davis xmas 2003. I would classify it as a 3/4*. Tbe honst I elt it was too large to be warrnt the description of a boutique. It was nice but I have stayed in better places for the price. we were upgraded to a suite which was enormous (more like an apartment really. While we were ther they were building the davis apartments next door.As I recall it was a 500m walk to the sktrain which wasn't too bad as it is in a quiet street which is also home to the Seafood Market Restaurant (which is well worth a visit).

As a cheaper alternative to the Oriental, we were very impressed with The Conrad, relatively new, very nice rooms and great restaurants.

SueHuml Aug 17th, 2006 06:11 AM

We stayed at the Davis in Feb and were very pleased with it and plan to stay a few nights again this Feb 07. We booked a design room through AsiaRooms.com and were upgraded to the next level. We were in the annex. We had a HUGE well appointed room, with lovely Thai artwork and statues, four poster bed, massive all marble bathroom, fruit and flowers in the room, breakfast included for about $115 a night. Yes it's a bit of a walk to the train (they do provide a golf cart ride to train if you want).

We also stay at the Marriott Resort and Spa on the river and enjoy that very much, however, the Davis is quite different but very enjoyable. Have not stayed at the Oriental but it always gets good reviews, however, it's usually around double what the Davis would cost. If you decide on Davis go for an upgraded room, well worth the extra.
Sue

rhkkmk Aug 17th, 2006 06:50 AM

sue--make that triple what the others cost for the oriental

Guenmai Aug 17th, 2006 06:59 AM

I got the Oriental for under $200. in August 2004. Even back then, folks kept quoting VERY high prices, but I didn't experience that. Happy Travels!