YCV -Deluxe vs Superior Rm

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to ask what is the difference between a deluxe vs superior room at YCV?

Gosh, hope I'm not being a pain. I keep thinking of thing after I hit the post button.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM

If I remember correctly, the size difference is 4 m3 and the superiour room has no bathtub...only a standing shower. I would guess that some of the superiour rooms are the ones that face outside walls. But friends in a superiour room faced into the pool, so not all of them face out.

I also wrote all of these types of questions right to the reservations girl and she was really quick to reply.

These are just the things I wanted to know too.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

KimJapan,

Thank you so much for all the info. Are there shops and restaurants near YCV? I know night baazar is close by, but are there restaurants close by too? I know there are lots of eats down by the river. It appears that CM is not as large as BKK. So it's probably a little more manageable.
Thanks KimJapan.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM

There are shops and restaurants close by...you can walk to Whole Earth, it shares thee driveway. Good shopping is found elsewhere. Inquire with Aree...ask her to go to buy what you want and how much you think you'd like to spend. There are some riverside restaraurnts quite walkable. Tuk tuks or songthaws are dead easy to use. Aree will teach you how. They are also very cheap. We had some good food right at YCV...pomelo salad was excellent. They will certainly reccommend a place for you if you ask.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:00 PM

i would opt for the more expensive room because the bathroom is huge and he tub is wonderful.

also make sure to get a room facing the property.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 03:36 AM

I took a tour of the hotel and was told that the difference in the two room was mostly location and the fact that the deluxe room has a tub and shower and the superior room only has a shower. Room size they said was not much bigger.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM

FYI,

i've booked the YCM via www.atsiam.com
it is cheaper than sawadee , especially the family room.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:13 PM

I saw one of the so-called "deluxe" rooms-and it didn't look a bit different than my room on the ground floor-these rooms are dark, at least the ones facing the pool are, and remember, not much privacy-you have to keep the curtain closed on the glass sliding door-as people in the pool area or walking by can look into your room, particularly on the ground floor.

In addition, the upper floor balcony overhang makes the ground floor rooms even darker than they are to begin with-because you have to keep the curtain closed, you're getting no natural light (and not much with the curtain open, because of the balcony overhang) so you're going to have to have the lights on in the room to see properly during the day.

-I maintain this hotel is really the equivalent of a not very good La Quinta budget inn-it's great if you can get it cheap, but not at all worth extra money-Chiang Mai Plaza, just next door- with pool AND spa, and D2 down the street, newer, and offering better service and amenities, are better bets-the one for price, the other for services.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:34 PM

I've stayed at both the D2 and YCV so here's my opinion:

D2 has a very yuppy atmosphere. We stayed in a junior suite(might actually be call a studio suite) but did take a look at the other rooms. One advice - request a room with a shower as the bathroom for the regular rooms are so small that they have either a walk in shower or an awkwardly placed bath tuthe bath tub will need some maneuvering to get in and out of). Not much Thai atmosphere at the D2.

YCV - rooms are basic but adequate and the bathrooms here are quite spacious for both the deluxe and the standard rooms. Most facilities are open-air(lobby, restaurant etc) which is perfect in the cooler months. The style(architecture) and uniforms of the staff are northern Thai whilst the D2 are totally the opposite. IMO this hotel has more local and cultural atmosphere and will add to the experience of a typical tourist.

If you want to stay in a suite then the D2 is a better choice. In our suite at the D2 we had a very nice spacious bathrooms(great stand alone jacuzzi bath and a more luxurious walk in shower) with top of the line amenities. LCD tvs in both the bed rooms and sitting rooms and in general much better amenities then a suite at the YCV. If you want to splurge then I would go for a villa at the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi. Our group stayed in 3 villas and not all of them are the same but the Dhara Dhevi tops them all(all the hotels in Chiang Mai) and it will be a wonderful experience in the winter months. For a larger family, go for a 3 bedroom residence at the Four Seasons.