Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Custom Dress and man’s suit made in Hoi Ann (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/custom-dress-and-mans-suit-made-in-hoi-ann-1494977/)

hurrygirl Oct 17th, 2017 08:09 AM

Custom Dress and man’s suit made in Hoi Ann

Any advice on where and who to have a custom ladies dress and mans suit made in Hoi Ann ?

Kathie Oct 17th, 2017 08:12 AM

Be aware that while many people do have clothing made in Hoi An, the quality of the tailoring will depend on how much time you spend there and the detail of the instructions you provide. The quality isn't as good as Bangkok, for instance.

hurrygirl Oct 17th, 2017 09:49 AM

Thank You I wont be in Bangkok long enough:(

Lolazahra Oct 17th, 2017 11:06 AM

I would not recommend it. I was super excited to get dresses made for me and my girls as well as a man's suit made. We stayed at a pretty high end hotel property in Hoi An who recommended what they felt was a top tailor. While the service was good -- they even came to our hotels for fittings because it was so incredibly hot in the store that I was dripping and literally could not stay in the store to try on clothes. But the final product was mediocre at best. Not the best fit even though it was custom, lined very imperfectly (had to ask for lining) and just did not look like professional quality clothing. I took a dress a dress and suit to copy to no avail. The dresses for the kids were cute but nothing more. There is a lot to do and see in Hoi An. I would skip the tailoring.

hurrygirl Oct 17th, 2017 11:15 AM

That's disappointing but good to know.
Thanks

Jackie Oct 17th, 2017 02:52 PM

Learned yesterday that you can get custom made outfit pretty quickly. I am in Bangkok now at Anantara riverside. Yesterday, we asked agent in hotel about having dress made. She called her preferred tailor while we were at the desk. They would have come for us to do a fitting that day and it would have been ready by tomorrow. The cost was about $300, but could range to 25,000 Bhatt depending on fabric.

lcuy Oct 17th, 2017 04:27 PM

For good quality, you need to have multiple fittings. I know several Fodorites that have gotten great outfits (Rhkkmk, Guenmai, Mrs HT) but they all know exactly what to ask for and go back as needed for adjustments. I don't have the patience for that while traveling, and am not good at saying, "This is not right, do it over", so I quit trying after several failures!

Kathie Oct 17th, 2017 06:54 PM

Yes, you can get clothing made quickly - but it will look like it. It takes time to get good custom-made clothing. If you don't take the time to get it right, it will just be a waste of your time and money

MmePerdu Oct 17th, 2017 07:46 PM

The best results I've had in several Asian locations was to bring a favorite garment to be copied, no fitting necessary if it's a decent tailor and not a complex item (I wouldn't have a suit done like that, for instance). I've successfully had casual things made in Chiang Mai & Ubud, but those made in Hoi An were the least successful.

hurrygirl Oct 18th, 2017 06:28 AM

Thanks everyone.