Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Cruise stop :Halong Bay or Hanoi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/cruise-stop-halong-bay-or-hanoi-958413/)

andie Dec 5th, 2012 07:49 AM

Cruise stop :Halong Bay or Hanoi?

Though cruise line suggests Hanoi is an option, it appears that getting there can take 3 1/2 hr each way from docking area! We have only from 11am to 1:30 am in the morning! (13 hr) What do you suggest to make our time meaningful and memorable?

Kathie Dec 5th, 2012 08:57 AM

Where does your ship actually dock?

andie Dec 5th, 2012 09:03 AM

it says Halong Bay ! We are on Celebrity Millenium a big ship!

yestravel Dec 5th, 2012 10:32 AM

Where is the cruise going? and where has it been?
From where the junks dock in HB, it is a good three hours to Hanoi, could be even longer. Not sure what you would do hanging around Halong Bay - I assume the cruise you came in on went past the karst formations which are stunning. If not, a jaunt out into the bay to get looks at the formations would make a nice afternoon. Also depending upon the weather you could do some kayaking if that appeals to you.

OTOH if you don't mind spending 6+ hours in transit, seeing Hanoi would be worth it to me. Does the cruise ship arrange for transportation into Hanoi?

andie Dec 5th, 2012 12:49 PM

Leave leave from Singapore (2 full days to visit) w/ stops in Ko Samui, Thailand, Laechobang (port for Bankok- overnight), Saigon(Phu My), Nha Trang, Chang May (port for Hue and Danang), Halong Bay and Hong Kong.

dgunbug Dec 5th, 2012 01:12 PM

If you have enough time to do an overnight in Hanoi, then I would go there. You can spend time just wandering the streets of the old city, soaking up the atmosphere, sampling some food, wandering around the lake which is close by the old city and the French quarters. Hanoi is fantastic.

thursdaysd Dec 5th, 2012 01:32 PM

The drive between HB and Hanoi is not very interesting. You would spend half your time getting to and from Hanoi, in order to spend, say, six hours in a town which is easily worth six days. You could hit some of the high points listed in all the guidebooks, but I suspect you'd miss the charm.

I would look into spending the day on a boat in HB. But this just illustrates the down side of cruising. It's no way to visit SEA.

dgunbug Dec 5th, 2012 01:45 PM

I do agree with thuradaysd. The road is long and boring.

sf7307 Dec 5th, 2012 03:04 PM

<<<The drive between HB and Hanoi is not very interesting>>>

That is an understatement!

melone Aug 7th, 2015 02:42 PM

Hi
If anyone can share advice I would appreciate it. I'm booking cruise, either celebrity Millenium Dec 2015 Singapore to Hong Kong 14 nights or Princess Cruise Singapore bro Fremantle, same dates. I'm a bit freaked out about the 1 1/2 day stop in Halong Bay with Millenium as I've heard the ship stops hours from anywhere, and you get easily ripped off with tour guides? There will be 4 of us.
Has anyone done these cruises or recommend some reputable tours, what to do etc? Thanks in advance

Kathie Aug 7th, 2015 02:45 PM

melone, you've asked your question on a thread that is three years old. Let me suggest that you start your own thread with your specific question.