Critique Itinerary in Bali Please

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Critique Itinerary in Bali Please

Hello-

My wife and I are going to Bali for 10 days and was wondering if some of you may be able to critique our itinerary. Here it goes:

2 Nights in Nusa Dua, we arrive very late and don't want to travel to far. Plus, we're using points to stay at the Westin.

3 nights in Ubud, no hotel chosen yet.

2 Nights were thinking on one of the islands like Lembongan or Paninda. Not Sure yet.

3 Days in Seminyak at the Elysian. Then back to the airport.

What do you folks think? Too much or too little moving around?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Too much moving around. I would cut at least one of the locations.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM

i agree....hire a driver to take you around to the different locations, all are easily reached during day trips from a central point, even from the south....

we used putu....

have you looked at lombok for the island visit....we are staying at quinci villas there...
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:42 AM

I agree with Bob and Andy, do cut (at least) one location. Bali is small and you can see almost all of what you want with day trips. If it were me, I'd cut two locations and plan to stay at a beach location and Ubud. Nusa Dua is the least interesting place you'll be. But I understand about using points and just wanting to rest.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Cut something out. Nusa Dua very quite, definitely UBUD, may want to stay an extra day. Hire a driver/guide. We have made 3 trips to Bali and just returned in March. We have used Merta on all 3 trips. Very trustworthy and very informative.
[email protected]
In UBUD stay close to town so you can walk around rather than trying to get taxi's or shuttle's all the time - 3 great museums in UBUD (Neka, Arma and Blanco) Some great restaurants: Cinta, Cafe Des Artiste, and lots of great shops.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM

Another vote to pick a base that has it's own serenity i.e. Four Seasons-Sayan if in your budget so that you can spent 2 1/2 days just rlaxing in it's exotic beauty. Hire a driver/guide for the rest of the time and in 5 days you can leisurely see all the places you mentioned and more.In fact, the trip could be 8 nights and you will no short-change yourself unless you want to lounge on the beach for 2-3 days then Ubad would not be the right base and 10 days would not be too many days.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:42 AM

Look at Kajane Mua Hotel in Ubud. Great reviewson Trip advisor.I am booked there in June .
Not sure about Lembongan / Nusa Penida .I suggest increasing your time at Seminyak .Lombok is lovely and quite different.Been there 4 times since 1982 . But I think you need more time as moving hotels let alone islands wastes most of a day .
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM

john...any suggestions for what to do on lombok?? our first visit is upcoming...thanks

shopping, etc...restaurants
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:16 PM

rhkkmk , funny you should ask ..... I was just looking at the latest email Newsletter from balieats.com which is a Lombok Special Edition .I think that it will be of real use to you . Well worth subscribing to it as it is free and does not come with spam on the side .

Am I right that in some earlier posts you mention staying at Quinci Villas ? If so they talk highly of the food there .They also talk of this special regional chicken dish that can lift the roof of your head off it is so hot but you can get mild versions .

I used to be very fond of the Novotel Coralia Hotel at Kuta Beach in Lombok .Stayed there twice . White coral sand , lovely clear water which when the tide is out allowed wallowing in rock pools . The hotel has interesting Sasak inspired architecture which I describe as Lombok meets Mexico .

I did the trip through a traditional Sasak Village which was interesting as is a trip into the market at Mataram or was it Ampenam - sorry but they are adjacent .It is truly local with heaps of spices etc but not for the squeamish .My hotel arranged it all.

As for shopping it was noted for glazed terracotta and double ikat weaving and woven very fine baskets . There is a series of shops / market stalls at Sengiggi Beach which is the main tourist area and no doubt more places now . Like anywhere the quality was better than say in Bali because it was locally made and a greater range was available .

You no doubt are aware already that this is an Island where the Muslim religion is predominant and there has been sectarian violence between them and Christians ?That being the case please do be careful about what is said and how you all dress. That said I have always found thenm to be lovely people as are most Indonesians . Some of the villagers were badly treated under Soeharto who stole their land to build hotels eg The Novotel Coralia so some resentments built up .

Also look at www.balispaguides.com and balidiscovery.com.

Enjoy your trip .

John
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:28 PM

stupid me - I see you mention Quinci here .dah !
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM

thanks john....karen wants to know if you looked at pearls at all??

needless to say i have no interest in them
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 02:47 AM

You know I had comletely forgotten that I did in fact buy strands of pearls as gifts . They were spur of the moment purchases as I waited at the airport to return to Bali . Long strands in both white / creme / and other soft colours and as I recall in a style/ shape called Bewa ?? / semi baroque and for which I did not pay very much . I am sorry that I can't be more specific because they were not something which I went with the intention of buying .But they were ,as I recall ,nice and the family / girlfriends who scored them were pretty happy .
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 06:50 AM

The only suggestion from me is you may stay at "AMANDARI" resort in ubud.It is a beautiful resort i ever stayed. Enjoy the trip!