2 Wonderful Weeks in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A hearty and sincere thanks to the forum participants for helping me plan and execute our 2 week stay in Bangkok, Krabi, and Chiang Mai. Blissful - all around. Most advice came in super handy and provided me with a solid guide to roam and search while improvising and exploring on our own. Using the metro in BKK was the best - the all-day pass was an excellent idea.
Relying on helpful locals for (broken-English) advice was invaluable in jumping off the beaten paths. The one thing I missed learning here was how much one can bargain - taxi-rides, shopping, etc. Don't be afraid to be in situations in which English is missing. And, eat street food. If one spends time on these forums, you pick up 80% of the knowledge needed to sight-see and tour. Numerous times I eavesdropped on guides hired by European and U.S, tourists and was amused at how little was gained from listening to them. There were minor disasters - like our snorkeling excursion in Krabi with a highly-recommended tour-provider whose boats kept breaking down, but all in all a wonderful trip.
I'd solidly recommend Baan Din Lamun in Krabi and Baan Orapin in Chiang Mai as amazing B&B's to stay in. We did spend time in a cookie-cutter 'resort' but the personal attention and general comfort in the smaller B&B's can't be beat. The street on which Baan Orapin is located in CM is a dream - the coolest cafes and art/handicraft stores, nightlife, restaurants, proximity to places across the river, Night Bazaar, Sun. walking street market, etc was the best part of the visit there. (I want to retire and live there). You can't beat CM for shopping - I wish I could rent a whole plane to bring back what I wanted.
Don't have much time, but I'd like to work on a Trip Report with all the exciting details and discoveries related to the 3 destinations.
If there's any help and advice I can provide to would-be travelers, I will.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 11:04 AM

Glad you had a wonderful trip - looking forward to reading all about it!
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 02:55 AM

eating street food can be a very risky business, and yes you did it and did not get sick but that does not mean it would not happen to others and it's just not worth risking a few days of your vacation.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 03:56 AM

If the food is cooked fresh in front of your face at a busy street stall in Thailand then you can't really go far wrong. It's all there in front of you, so unless you can see and suspect anything amiss I'd go for it and usually do, accompanied by an ice-cold bottle of Singha.

You're more likely to catch something nasty in a hotel restaurant. You can't see the state of the kitchen, the fridges or freezers, or know how long the food has been stored. So If I eat in a hotel I have a nosey round first, and especially in the toilets which often give a clue as to the hygiene in the rest of the place.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 03:26 AM

Of course one can get sick from eating in any restaurant ( and that goes for any place in the world including the U.S.). So I don't think that argument holds water as they say. Now for street food you say it's cooked fresh and just how does one determine if the food is fresh? does the street vendor have refrigeration? Is it kept in an ice cooler ? How long has it been sitting in the hot humid weather? The cooking utensils being used are they washed periodically, and if so in what? Hot water? Now if the vendor hasto relieve themselves where do they go? Did they wash their hands?
Another argument is made if there are a lot of people eating there it must be safe, maybe yes maybe no as the locals have adjusted to some bacteria but your stomach may not.

Ok now let me say that I am sure there are street food vendors whose food you can eat without dire consequences as some posters have pointed out. My point is that eating in reputable establishments is far less risky than the street food. And on your vacation why risk it?
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 12:49 PM

I've spent almost 40 years eating street food in SE Asia. Like most things I do I use common sense, and assess the risks before I dive in. As I'm still here I ain't about to change my habits.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 04:17 AM

You have had one heck of a run of good luck!
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 01:33 PM

Hello,

Your review was great!

After your experience in Krabi. What did you do? Did you do many day trips and if so which ones?

We are a family of 4 (older teenage children) travelling there for 4 days. We haven't booked anything yet but were thinking Railay Beach looks good and also emerald pools with the hot springs I've read is a good little trip. Would you recommend to wait until arrival before booking?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 07:40 AM
loj

I look forward to your trip report, as I warm up to the idea of Thailand!
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 05:57 PM

Many people misplace the blame for their stomach upsets. usually they blame the last thing they ate or base it on a scant knowledge of hygiene.
it is worth bearing in mind that a lot of upsets stomachs start from "hand-to-mouth" contact. justt think where your hands have been all day in somewhere like Bangkok and then they come into contact with your mouth!

BTW - that is why smoking is banned in kitchens in the West.
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Jodigee - What is "emerald pools with the hot springs I've read is a good little trip". I too am going in a month now to Krabi and have nothing planned, Many day trips from Phuket but nothing Krabi yet and havent heard about the hotel springs. Worth the visit?
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Jodigee,

There are several standardized choices available for day/half-day trips on the strip in Krabi. One suggestion: Bargain, a bit. They are all dealing with the same handful of actual tour operators.

We did a full-day snorkeling trip to Phi Phi and Bamboo. Didn't quite work out - but we did get some exciting snorkeling done at Phi Phi. Ensure you get a decent amount of time at low tide. High tide really messes up things. Also, speed-boated past Chicken Island and a stop at Maya Bay. The seascape is stunning so do go for a snorkeling trip - half day should be enough if you can get an hour plus. Then we did a half-day kayaking in Thalane Bay (ThB 500 per head) - this was worth it. Mangroves, makies diving for fish, canyons, etc.

We were in Ao Nang which just has a strip with little to do except stroll down trinket selling stores. So, you have to occupy yourself doing excursions.

Still have to work on a Trip Report. If you like Thai food - Ao Nang has some good places - some fancy, some where locals go, and some on the street. Let me know if you want more detailed info.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

loj,

Working on it. Actually, just sent a detailed sub-report to a warming up to the idea anyway. Hopefully I can raise your temperature.