Craig and Jeane in India Now

Feb 18th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Craig and Jeane in India Now

Hi, just wanted to let you guys know that we are in Agra after a loooong time getting here. Great view of Taj from hotel. The ride from Delhi to Agra was a great intro to this chaotic country - cows, oxen, camels, "dancing bears", monkeys and all types of vehicles honking their horns. More to come later.
Feb 18th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Oh God Craig are those memories ever so fresh! I know just what you mean. Enjoy yourselves.
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:58 AM

craig---on our way home from the travel clinic in boston we were wondering what you were doing??

B&K
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:24 PM

I know exactly how you feel!! Have fun, i am dreaming of being there as we speak.
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Relax and enjoy the ride!
Feb 26th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

I'll have to wait til we get home to write a full trip report but suffice to say India is amazing. We've had 10 lost photo opportunities for every picture we have taken. From Agra we proceeded to Fatephur Sikri and then on to Jaipur where we spent three nights at Raj Vilas which is even nicer than Amar Vilas. Spent lots of time touring with our guide - did the elephant ride at Amber Fort, an amazing monument. Did some shopping but there are no bargains on jewelry in my opinion.

On to Ranthambore National Park - saw a tiger on our second game drive. Our jeep was in front and we followed the tiger down the road for some great pix. Sher Bagh was lots of fun - very friendly, social place but very basic - no heat in the tents. The morning drives were very cold in the open top jeep - the hot water bottles and blankets helped - Jeane wore a hat and gloves to keep warm. The weather overall has been fantastic - blue skies, highs of 70 - 80 degrees every day.

We have had some glitches with Compass Tours and the hotels. Also cancelled one game drive because they wanted to put us in a cantor. Our room at Raj Vilas had no safe (they almost put us up at Rambagh Palace instead). Upon arrival in Delhi, we found that the Imperial was overbooked and stayed our first night at the Park. We are now in a deluxe suite for 3 nights at the Imperial and are receiving a free meal at Spice Route as compensation. Compass is providing our other two meals in Delhi - one at Buckara (Sheraton Maurya) and one other place that I forget right now (at the Claridge?). The 7 hour train ride from Sawai Modephur near Ranthambore to Delhi was pretty cool - the biggest perk was being able to recharge my cell phone and look at my fotos using the electrical outlets in our 1st class compartment.

Will right more later - must sign off
Feb 26th, 2005, 08:55 AM

sounds great...sorry to hear of the glitches, but sounds like they worked out ok....would love to see your pics some day, maybe we could meet for dinner 1/2 way bet. hartford and boston and andy and beth might join us???
enjoy the rest of the trip...

bob and karen
Feb 28th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Bob, we have some great pics - the idea of getting together sounds good. We leave Delhi this afternoon - over night in BKK then arrive Hartford Wednesday night.

Our free meals at Bukhara and Corbetts were fabulous - great Northern Indian food - first time we ate meat on our trip. The safari-like atmosphere at Corbetts was especially distinctive. Last night we had a free meal at the Spice Route in the Imperial - southeast Asian cuisine - also very good with wonderful atmosphere.

Delhi is kind of civilized compared to the other places we visited - great monuments and shopping though. More on this later.

Regarding Compass Tours - in spite of the glitches, they went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of. We met the owner Durjay Sengupta yesterday - a charming young man anxious to make sure our stay in India was as good as it could be - he even gave my wife a little birthday present - she had celebrated at Sherbagh (set up by Compass) - the staff at Sherbagh had brought her a traditional Indian birthday dessert followed by a cake with candles and a round of "Happy Birthday" sung by the guests.

I will do a separate post on using a travel agent in India and my experiences with Compass Tours in particular.
Feb 28th, 2005, 09:29 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEANE

karen and bob
Feb 28th, 2005, 11:14 PM

Craig glad to hear things are going well. Hope u enjoyed Sher Bagh - I love the place but can see how the lack of some creature comforts could influence stay. Feel quite responsible for that choice actually! I'm glad u didn't buy jewelry in Jaipur - you get the same stuff in Delhi from more reputed places. Bukhara and Corbetts are always favs of mine too! Look forward to more details.

Search this Thread