Search

Evenings in Siem Reap

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evenings in Siem Reap

Hi Everyone

Only 3 and a half weeks until we visit Cambodia for the first time. We have our days roughly planned (Ponheary, visit local school, visit temples etc..) We were just wondering about where to spend the evenings. We are staying at the Lotus Angkor Hotel on Airport Road, and would prefer not to eat at the hotel each evening. Is it easy enough to get a taxi / tuk tuk into town and walk around in the evening - have a meal, walk around market??? If this is possible, where is it best to be dropped off?

We would love to hear from anybody who can offer any advice - can't wait until the start of April. A year's planning and looking-forward is about to happen - hooray!

Debbie and Simon
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Hi Debbie

From your hotel you'll be able to take a tuk-tuk into town easily enough. There are lots of decent restaurants and semi-fun bars in town to relax in. A few nice boutique type stores. I liked Kokoon.

Go to talesofasia.com and make yourself a list of places to hang out. I liked the Dead Fish Tower. The tuk tuk driver will certainly wait for you or hang out with you to take you for a pub crawl, Cambodian style.

Walking around the market is a challenge with all the beggars and kids. Once you get used to it, walking around can be fun but it is tiring negotiating the market with 10 kids hanging around you.

We had high intentions of hanging out in the evening, but usually once we had dinner and a drink or two, we were ready to put it down for the night.

I wish you a pleasant journey. Give my regards to Ponheary.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:05 PM

I second Dead Fish Tower! Great place to go for cocktails and entertaining to say the least.

One of our favorite restaurants in Khmer Kitchen. a couple of others that we liked are Red Piano and the Thai Kitchen at the Phuket Guest House.

There is a very hip bar called Linga. You will have to ask them what it means. ;-) The owner is from San Francisco.

Along Pub street there are a number of bars but beware of the ones with the young ladies telling their sob stories about their German or their British boyfriend leaving them high and dry.

The Temple Bar has great service a pool table and some good music playing.

The Central Market is an indoor market with huge fans on the ceiling so it wasn't too hot. We had no problem with any beggars or kids. We pretty much had the place to ourselves and found some great bargaining opportunities. I bought many silk purses!

I hope you will visit Tonle Sap Lake! it was an incredible sight to behold. On the ride out you will see some incredible estates and some very simple huts that the people live in.

Enjoy!

Tamara
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Check out the Siem Reap section in www.travelfish.org

It has a great section of restaurants and nightlife
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM

as well as bars, you might be able to find a decent Aspara dance night, or a shadow puppet show. one of our best nights was at Aki Ra's landmine museum watching a play put on by all his kids! - 7:30-8ish on fri nights