Corona Virus in Vietnam

Old Mar 6th, 2020, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Corona Virus in Vietnam

Very good news : The Center for the Control and Prevention of Diseases (CDC) has announced that Vietnam is "free of corona" an has praised the very strict measures taken by the Vietnamese Government as early as 30 January. Those measures were so effective (only 16 cases, all cured, and no deaths) that it has also been announced that 40 experts from the US Ministry of Public Health and the CDC will come here mi-March to study the measures taken.

Last edited by Larsay; Mar 6th, 2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 12:12 PM

Hurray!! Great news. Thank you for posting! We need to hear the good as well as the nerve-wracking stories!
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 11:32 AM

Not so much anymore. A British couple left a trail of infection after catching it from a Vietnamese passenger (who had been in Italy) on their flight from LHR to Hanoi and are now in quarantine. Apparently she lied about where she had visited.

Vietnam is not allowing flights from the UK or 8 other European countries.

Obviously the situation is changing daily.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...row-to-vietnam

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 9th, 2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 02:12 PM

I'm not sure that they are not allowing flights, the article says that they are suspending visa free travel. That seems to suggest that people from those countries will now need a visa. At least that is how I read it.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 08:35 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...attles-vietnam

This article has more details. It's a sad and angering tale of how one passenger, withholding relevant travel information, can wreak havoc.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Visa exemption for stay of 15 days and less suspended indeed. New cases here, but the government has immediately taken very strict measures such as the closing of the street where the woman lives, so, nobody is worrying here , including me. Schools closed in Hanoi for 2 weeks and some hotels close not because they are infected, but for lack of clients ; everything else is open and there are still Occidental tourists
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 12:38 PM

Apparently Patient Zero infected a British woman on the same LHR to Hanoi flight, who then took a Viking Cruise to Cambodia. I guess they traced 5 passengers to that ship and finally got her to agree to be tested (she had refused). The remaining Viking Cruise passengers and crew are now under quarantine on the ship and being tested.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5070037...itish-national
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
Apparently Patient Zero infected a British woman on the same LHR to Hanoi flight, who then took a Viking Cruise to Cambodia. I guess they traced 5 passengers to that ship and finally got her to agree to be tested (she had refused). The remaining Viking Cruise passengers and crew are now under quarantine on the ship and being tested.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5070037...itish-national
What kind of selfish moron refuses to be tested? Rhetorical question, I don't really expect an answer.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 07:45 PM

" What kind of selfish moron refuses to be tested? "

The same kind of selfish moron as the one in the original story, who lied (by omission) about where she had been