Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Cooking School in Chiang Mai? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/cooking-school-in-chiang-mai-340976/)

Kenstee Apr 10th, 2008 01:03 PM

Cooking School in Chiang Mai?

Looking for a Thai cooking school in Chiang Mai. Who's good? Who isn't.

KimJapan Apr 10th, 2008 01:59 PM

We did a customized class with www.alotofthai.com that was outstanding. Yui gets consistently good reviews from regular class participants as well.

Kenstee Apr 10th, 2008 03:53 PM

Kim,

What do you mean by customized? Thanks.

KimJapan Apr 10th, 2008 04:07 PM

I mean that we chose the entire menu rather than doing one of the set classes. It was private, just us, with something to challenge my husband who was a chef at a multi-Asian restaurant before moving to Japan, vegetarian for my daughter who was then 7, and appetizer/finger food for me. By e-mail, we discussed menu options beforehand, and then our class day we first visited the market to buy ingredients (cost included in class cost, not separate), then went back to their house/cooking studio and cooked and ate the whole day away. We had a great time, and were very, very full.

rahulm Apr 10th, 2008 08:37 PM

We did a cooking class at a Lot of Thai as well, although not customized. It was a lot of fun. We made about 7 dishes and ate them. We've cooked most of them several times since we've come back home without any problems. I would highly recommend A Lot of Thai.

degas Apr 10th, 2008 08:58 PM

We did A Lot of Thai, and its a Lot of Value for the Money. Fun, casual session with a very personable instructor.

Smeagol Apr 10th, 2008 09:50 PM

we did the Chiang mai cookery school one (think the web address is www.thaicookeryschool.com)
it was fantastic. The owner/chef (sompon) has a TV series. You can do it a two locations , in the city or at his house which is a beautiful open air pavilion. It was the main reason we went to CM and absolutely LOVED it. They will pick you up from ypur hotel and drop you back off. all for about 900bht (2 years ago not sure of costs now)

glorialf Apr 11th, 2008 03:11 AM

To be honest I have never read anything but a rave about any of these cooking schools. I did Chiang Mai Cooking School and loved it. Plan to try A lot of thai next trip. I don't think you can go wrong with either. There are other ones as well that get great reviews.

Whichever one you take make sure that it includes the market tour which is a real highlight.

bmttokyo Apr 11th, 2008 04:20 AM

Another vote for A Lot of Thai- did a quicky (short Half day class) privatefor our family. Even got to get KT to do some cooking for a change. He even offered to cook when I decided to make the Pad Thai here in Tokyo. I said, Thanks but no thanks. Maybe next time "

Kenstee Apr 11th, 2008 09:40 AM

Thanks Kim. That's just what we want. Thanks for the tip!

rahulm Apr 13th, 2008 11:14 AM

BTW, if you do decide to take A Lot Of Thai's class, when you go for the market tour, ask Yui to take you to her favorite milk-coffee drink place. I've had my share of coffee drinks (with milk) and this was the best!