Kyushu in the fall

Search

Kyushu in the fall

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyushu in the fall

We are hoping to visit Kyushu this fall and specifically hoping to spend much of our time on Yakushima.
Hiking and generally being outdoors is our hope. We would also like to visit Yafuin . Is there a better time to go - early October to early November ? Any recommendations about places to stay would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 06:19 PM

We spent two nights at the Sankara on Yakushima on our honeymoon over New Year 2013. Not cheap, but it's worth every penny if you ask me.

There really aren't many hotels on the island. Seems most Japanese visitors stay at the numerous minshuku/B&Bs.
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 09:40 PM

We visited in late October/ early November 2013 and the weather was perfect for us. Sunny days, nice weather, not super hot, the fall colours were starting to come through. It was a lovely time to visit. We don't do hiking so can't comment on that, but we self-drove around the northern half of Kyushu and loved it.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. I have read your detailed reports which are wonderful. Will be coming back with more questions as we plan. Thanks.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 09:12 AM

okoshi2002,
Fall is a good season for Kyushu. October or November? I'd choose October, slightly longer days and warmer temperatures although the difference may be slight. Room rates and availability may differ as well. We stayed at the Iwasaki. Quite a stunning property with hiking trail to waterfall on site. Also onsen baths and fine dining on property. The public bus also stops right at lobby(or did), better check.. The bus also stopped at the JR hotel which is close by, as is the Sankara on this part of the island, Onoaida.

Iwasaki is a great spot but for the next trip I've bookmarked a hotel called Yakushima Sanso. Close to Anbo port, and why pay for resort hotel when most of time spent away from property? Couldn't find any online links to it though so maybe closed?

We arrived at Yakushima by hydrofoil, rkkwan's, air transport method would save a lot of time and is something I would consider.

Also next time we will rent a car and/or hire a guide for a better in depth hiking experience. Cost benefit of someone knowing trails plants history is worth it.
This guide has a blog and I think she was mentioned by another fodorite in a Kyushu post.
http://yakushimalife.blogspot.com/

Japan Times article
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/201.../#.VsIR5pMrIcB

If you're hiking all the obvious, good rain gear foot wear advice.
Hope to hear a trip report and wishing you a great time.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestion regarding Iwasaki and Yakushima Sanso will check them out.

Renting a car on Yakushima island sounds reasonable. Any suggestions on vendor ?

We had hoped to visit Yafuin and or Kurokawa onsen. Are they easy to access from Fukuoka if using public transportation ?

Thanks.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 05:35 PM

okoshi2002,
We took a bus from Kumamoto to Kurokawa which was fun as we had a scenic tour of Mt Aso area which the route goes through.
If you check the link below you can see the various routes.
In retrospect we would get of the bus in Aso on the return trip and head out to Kagoshima from there. We did enjoy staying in Kumamoto but it looks like you could get to Kurokawa from Fukuoka or Yufuin.
We liked riding the bus as it was comfortable and gave us a good ground level view

http://www.kurokawaonsen.or.jp/eng_new/access/#access01

Can't help about car rental, thats still on my list of must do's.
Some good advice about it on this forum.

In Yufuin we stayed at the Yufuin Shuhokan, we enjoyed it but don't know if we'd go back, probably try somewhere else.
A lot of listings on booking.com for this area.
We used public transport with one week of North Kyushu pass and one week of all Kyushu Pass with some bus , taxi and hydrofoil.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 07:01 PM

Rental car is a must for Yakushima. Public transportation is very very limited and infrequent.

I suggest you just book through ToCoo.jp. And if you've read my trip report, you'll see the problem with renting at Anbo. I suggest you arrive either by air, or by jetfoil into Miyanoura. Not into the small village of Anbo.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan and kalihiwai.

We love using public transportation but it sounds like in Kyushu a rental vehicle might be better. I read about the tolls you describe rkkwan which gives me pause.

Maybe we can use a rental on Yakushima and train and bus on the main island of Kyushu ?

I need to look at routes and train schedules however the thought is go from Fukuoka to Yufuin, on to Kagoshima/Yakushima, then Kurokawa, and back to Fukuoka, spending 2 nights at Yufuin and Kurokawa each, and 5 nights on Yakushima.

We are aiming for mid October as you suggested which makes sense- a little warmer and longer days than November- good suggestion.

I did try to see if we could get two nights at Sanga but according to booking sites no availability. I wonder is it too early- more than 6 months out ?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 08:13 AM

okoshi2002,

"I did try to see if we could get two nights at Sanga but according to booking sites no availability. I wonder is it too early- more than 6 months out ? "

Not too early but too late for reservations

I checked out Kurokawa on booking.com and it is almost filled up for October.

If you want to stay in Kurokawa better reserve something today.
Same thing for Yufuin .
These are popular spots at a popular time.
Make sure you understand the cancellation policies and check back in at the Sanga to see if they open up from a cancellation.
I've used the baths at the Ichinoi and it is a good location close to the center which is good if you want to do the onsen walk where you could visit the Sanga for its baths alone, may have to taxi there as its a little out of town.

We did fine using public transport.
A car would have been nice on Yakushima but even there the bus worked.
Good Luck
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 09:41 AM

okooshi 2002,
Sorry I got mixed up about the Kurokawa Ryokans. I was thinking about the Ikoi which is close to town, the Ichinoi being a short ways out.
Many ryokans do have shuttle services and taxis are always an option.
Hope you find a good place, Kurokawa is a beautiful location.
good luck
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 02:35 AM

One of our biggest pleasures in Kyushu was self-drive, as the areas we drove through were mainly agricultural and very peaceful and scenic. In addition, we constantly found ourselves weaving our way up and over and back down the many mountains / hills, and these roads were just spectacular. Not scary at all because the maximum road speeds are really low and there's no pushiness from other drivers. It was also nice to be able to stop as we wished along the way to enjoy views, stretch legs etc.

We booked the rental car out of Kumamoto and returned it in Fukuoka. Our itinerary was shinkansen straight to Kumamoto, 2 nights, then 2 nights in Kurokawa, 2 in Yufuin and 2 in Fukuoka. We also drove down to Takachiho Gorge and Usuki and across to Beppu during this time.
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Kalihiwai it is amazing that some places in Kurokawa are already full for October ! Fortunately I did find two nights at Ichinoi and two nights at Yafuin Sankouen . I am glad you recommend the Ichinoi.

Kavey your encouragement to drive in Kyushu is good to hear. Perhaps we will consider driving our entire trip from Fukuoka to Yakushima and back.

Do we need a special license to drive in Japan ?
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 01:15 AM

Okoshi
I would certainly never drive in Kyoto or Tokyo but we found driving in Kyushu very enjoyable, not at all stressful.

We booked a GPS that had English language functions, but note that the best way to enter an address is to obtain the destination's telephone number and enter that. That was a tip from a fellow Fodorite here, and a very very very helpful one, we found!
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 01:17 AM

Oops, sorry I missed the last question.

We are from UK and need an International Driving License to drive in Japan. These are readily available via our Post Office service, cost just £5.50 and they last for a year, I think. All you need (in the UK) to get one is your regular full driving license, and then to fill in some forms etc.

Here is the Japan-Guide page: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 05:53 AM

When we did our honeymoon trip over New Year 2013, we flew in and out of FUK, as there is non-stop from Hong Kong. Our main places to visit are Kurokawa and Yakushima. We seriously considered all these three options. All renting in Hakata, then drive to Kurokawa, then to Aso and down to Kagoshima. Then, then:

1. Park car at the ferry pier in Kagoshima for 2 nights, then drive back to Hakata after our stay on Yakushima by jetfoil both ways. Main advantage: cheaper car rental as we're returning car in same prefecture. Main disadvantage: time, as speed limit in Japan is excruciatingly low; also, the cheaper car rental rate is eaten by gasoline and toll.

2. Return car in Kagoshima. Jetfoil both ways, then take train back to Hakata. Main advantage: cost, as I believe that was the cheapest option for our time frame. Disadvantage: again, time, as it still means more hours getting back north.

3. Return car in Kagoshima. Jetfoil to Yakushima, fly back directly to FUK. This was the option we chose, despite paying full fare on the flight as it was Jan 2 and peak season in Japan. Main advantage: time, as it was just an hour flight back to FUK, instead of 1.5 hours on the Jetfoil to Kagoshima and then hours getting back north.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Is there a ferry that you can take your vehicle over to Yakushima ? Do most local visitors to Yakushima rent a car ?
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

I just looked at the Japan Guide you directed me to Kavey. Is it true that US visitors who want to drive in Japan have to take a written and practical exam which may require several attempts ? Yikes.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 11:34 AM

okoshi2002, where did you get the idea that you need to take a test in Japan? If you are from the US, you need to get an International Driving Permit.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 11:40 AM

okoshi2002,

All you need is a valid US drivers license and an International drivers license that can be issued by your nearest AAA office.
I did mine by mail.
You fill out a form provide photos and current license copies front and back and pay a fee.
You can get the forms online.
http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

I think the easies/most popular method is to rent a car on Yakushima island.

I'd be interested to hear from Japan drivers about parking, gassing up and tolls.
I really want to get a car this year in the Matsue area to cover the more remote sites. This may have to be on another thread though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -