Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   cooking class in bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/cooking-class-in-bangkok-960361/)

lgny_lcsw Dec 25th, 2012 11:29 AM

cooking class in bangkok

hello to you all that have experienced thai cooking classes in BKK..

am planning to spend a week in bkk and am interested to attend a couple of Thai cooking classes..the ones i found on line were pricy and am wandering if any of you have had a good but reasonably priced experience..

thank you so much for the valuable first hand info...

lg

Kathie Dec 25th, 2012 12:21 PM

The Blue Elephant Restaurant has a very good cooking class.

Craig Dec 25th, 2012 12:36 PM

Ditto - but maybe that is one of those that is pricey. Good value, good times however.

rhkkmk Dec 25th, 2012 05:48 PM

also pricey is the anantara cooking school conducted on a rice barge on the river... unique..

many of the hotels in town have their own.

tarquin Dec 26th, 2012 04:01 AM

I went for a half day class with May Kaidee

www.maykaidee.com

in her restaurant in Bangkok. Not sure what it cost, but I paid for three people and it felt cheap. It was very informal and fun, no vegetable carving.

tyro Dec 26th, 2012 05:02 PM

Chef Robert Dahni, who has published a few great Thai cookbooks, suggested Khao Cookery School in Bangkok. I didn't get a chance to try it out myself, but I would trust his endorsement.
www.khaocookeryschool.com
I would go this route before doing a hotel class.

simpsonc510 Dec 26th, 2012 06:02 PM

My friend (and excellent cook) Maeng has a cooking class that is for a reasonable price at the Suk 11 Hotel (on Sukhumvit Soi 11). I have not attended her class, but I can certainly attest to her ability to cook, plus she has taught a few chefs (no names) how to prepare 'real' Thai food!

tyro Dec 27th, 2012 05:46 AM

My apologies, the link should have been www.khaocookingschool.com

I can also personally recommend the street food tour offered by Bangkok Food Tours. I did the Bangrak Food Tour last winter and it was really quite nice. It was a walking tour, stopping in to a half dozen places to get a bite. Each place was expecting us and had small plates to taste. Yes - it was geared to tourists, but still pleasant, and I went back for more later!

But if I get back to Bangkok, I would take Simpson's recommendation to cook with Maeng - I chose to stay at her favorite hotel and it was a great choice.

lgny_lcsw Dec 27th, 2012 08:00 AM

oh my...thank you ALL for all your input !
now i am geared up to get enlightened...

in manhattan, and on my travels,
i experienced so many ways the popular, Pad Thai dish
and now i can't wait to taste their version !

btw, if anyone is going to be in the town of Haleiwa, thats up in the North shore, outskirts of the island of Oahu, i strongly suggest a small restaurant called OPAL...its very simple environment/atmosphere..they don't take c/cards, but the food and service is amazing !

lg