Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Connecting from International to Domestic flights at BKK?

Oct 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Seeking advice from BKK/regional airline experts -- I was trying to book the Bangkok Air Discovery Airpass from Bangkok to Siem Reap, then Siem Reap to Phuket, then Phuket back to Bangkok. Unfortunately Airpass seats are sold out from Siem Reap to Phuket on the dates I wanted (even if I treated it as 2 flights (SR to BKK and BKK to Phuket).

As an alternative, If I fly from Siem Reap to BKK on Bangkok Air, and then get on an Air Asia flight from Bangkok to Phuket, what is the minimum time I would need to make the connection? Would I need to go through customs? and switch terminals? I think I would only have carry-on baggage at this point.

Sorry; I'm sure similar questions have been asked before but I couldn't find the answers!
Oct 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Connecting from international to Air Asia in BKK will require you to go through immigration, collect baggage, clear customs, and make it to the Air Asia check in counter no later than 45 minutes prior to your flight's scheduled departure time. Air Asia is point to point, with no facility to transfer bags or through check in, even if you fly on "connecting" Air Asia flights. 3 hours between flights would be a bare minimum.
Oct 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM

i too would aim for 3 hours but you probably will do it in much less time....no baggage of course if you carry on, but carry on space is very limited on the SR flights usually depending on the plane type... so if only carry on i don't think you would have to go through immigration?? locals can tell you
Oct 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM

If you take the 9.50 flight from Siem Reap it gets into bangkok at 10.45. The Air asia flight is at 13.10. This allows you nearly 2.5 hrs to pass through immagration, get to the air asia check in counter and then to the departure gate. Since you have only carry on and don't have to collect baggage this such be sufficienr time.

The other flight to consider is the 15.00 flight arriving at 16.10 and connecting with Air Asia flight at 18.45
Oct 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It is very helpful.