Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Connecting from Air China to Hainan Airlines in Beijing: need advice! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/connecting-from-air-china-to-hainan-airlines-in-beijing-need-advice-882560/)

filmwill Mar 18th, 2011 10:56 AM

Connecting from Air China to Hainan Airlines in Beijing: need advice!

We will be flying into Beijing on Air China and arrive at 4:15 PM.

Need to connect to Hangzhou and would prefer to connect on Hainan Air (over Air China, which I hear domestically is atrocious and wracked with delays out of Beijing)

That said, if the Hainan Air flight is at 7 PM, does that give us enough time to go through immigration, grab our bags, transfer terminals and check-in in time?

Or should we suck it up and fly in Air China?

rkkwan Mar 18th, 2011 12:45 PM

I would stick to CA. Avoid the terminal change (T3 is long way from T1/2, and require riding a shuttle bus), and CA has more flights to HGH to start with. I've flown CA domestic a couple of times, and in my opinion, they're no worse than other Chinese airlines. Delays out of PEK can affect all airlines, in my view.

Plus, in case your flight from the US is significantly late, at least you can argue with their domestic check-in desk that you were late because of them. HU will likely ignore you and tell you to buy a new ticket.

filmwill Mar 18th, 2011 01:00 PM

thanks! what's your opinion, btw, on CA international? we're flying in biz on one of the newer planes (A330) and am hoping it's not as dreadful as I've been lead to believe. Certainly not expecting Singapore Airlines but not sure what to expect given the wildly different reviews.

rkkwan Mar 18th, 2011 01:32 PM

I wouldn't expect much of "service" on Air China. Their business class seats are angled lie-flats in 2-2-2 seating with AVOD. Should be okay, but definitely can't compare to the flat beds now appearing on some airlines.

filmwill Mar 27th, 2011 04:13 PM

Ray, so we ended up going with CA to Hangzhou. I'm assuming that we're going to to have to pick up our bags in Beijing, go the immigrations/customs and re-check at domestic (even though we're flying CA all the way through--from Vancouver)?

Seems to me, from what I've read, that we can't get around going through customs and re-checking bags in PEK.

Can you confirm?

(Not worried too much as we have almost 3 hrs to connect.)

rkkwan Mar 27th, 2011 04:15 PM

Yes, you definitely have to go through everything in PEK; and recheck.

flgirl0817 Mar 29th, 2011 12:24 PM

If you are flying Air China I found the following on their website, so I think your wife can carry her lipstick. I will have the same problem with my lipsticks and lip glosses.

Restrictions on Liquid Items in Hand Luggage for Domestic Flights

To safeguard the safety of airline passengers, the General Administration of Civil Aviation of China has updated restrictions relating to liquid items that may be carried in hand luggage for domestic flights.

1. Liquid items are prohibited from hand luggage but can be packed in checked luggage. Packaging of liquids must comply with the relevant provisions of civil aviation transport.
2. Small amounts of liquids are allowed in hand luggage as long as there in only one container for each product, each container is a maximum size of 100ml, and all items are placed in a single bag for inspection.
3. Duty-free liquid items brought from passengers of overseas flights connecting to domestic flights must be placed in a sealed transparent plastic bag with the supporting proof of receipt. These items would need to be approved by the security inspector.
4. Special provisions are made for liquid baby formula or medications. If traveling with an infant, please bring powder formula or request a baby meal 24 hours prior to departure. The air crew will hold any liquid medications that passengers may need for the flight. These items would need to be approved by the security inspector.
5. For passengers taking international or regional flights, restrictions on liquid items in hand luggage is still subject to the relevant provisions in the General Administration of Civil Aviation of China’s Announcement on Liquid Restrictions in Hand Luggage for Civil Flights issued on March 17th 2007.
6. Passengers who do not follow the above restrictions do so at their own risk.

Hope this helps.

Anita

filmwill Mar 29th, 2011 01:39 PM

I'll be sure to let me wife know that she can carry her lipstick. ;)