Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Connecting flights, EVA to Bangkok and Bangkok Airways from BKK to Ko Samui... (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/connecting-flights-eva-to-bangkok-and-bangkok-airways-from-bkk-to-ko-samui-570912/)

seeksocean Nov 14th, 2005 01:37 PM

Connecting flights, EVA to Bangkok and Bangkok Airways from BKK to Ko Samui...

The seven of us fly into Bangkok on EVA and then have a flight two hours later on Bangkok Airways to Ko Samui. We check-in in San Francisco. How should we do this luggage-wise? Some of us are checking luggage and some of us are all carry-on.

Is there a way to check it all the way from San Fran and just get it when we clear customs in BKK and then re-check it, or do we get our bags and re-check it at the Bangkok Airways desk?

I can't stand another hold from hell when I call the airlines so I thought I'd give you smart forum folks a go.

Also, how much weight is the luggage allowance within the country? Couldn't do this without you!!! Thanks!!

KimJapan Nov 14th, 2005 02:08 PM

A few years ago we flew Thai Air into BKK and Bangkok Air to Samui and our luggage was checked through all the way. I'm not sure if all airlines do this though or if it was an agreement between Thai and Bangkok Air. The best source for your checking through question is unfortunately the airline.

Bangkok Air's luggage regulations should be on their website...bangkokair.com I haven't heard of them being very strict about it though, and in our experience they certainly weren't.

JamesA Nov 14th, 2005 06:31 PM

Domestic flights are 20 kgs per person.

Only Eva can tell you if they have a transfer arrangement with Bangkok Airways otherwise you clear Immigration and Customs at Bangkok and then go to the Domestic Terminal for Bangkok Airways.

SJLBK Nov 14th, 2005 06:45 PM

I had asked this question a month or so back with regards to flying into BKK on United.

There are a number of carriers that have a check-through agreement with Bankgok Air. Eva is one of them, so technically, you should be able to check straight through.

http://www.bangkokair.com/before/#MinimumConnectionTime

From how I have heard it is done, you check straight through from your departure location, and when you arrive in BKK, instead of leaving the international terminal and going over to the domestic, you go to the Bangkok Air lounge in the international terminal and let them know which KS flight you are going on. Before departure, they will come and collect you from the lounge and take you (on a bus?) to the plane. Then, you clear customs in KS. It is supposedly a MUCH easier and faster way to clear customs.

Of course, I have not done this myself, and it is information I have gathered from this board and from flyertalk.com, so that is all I can tell you!

rhkkmk Nov 14th, 2005 08:00 PM

how about sending an e mail to both of them and asking...bkk air and eva....

featherbrain Nov 15th, 2005 09:40 AM

Does Koh Samui have immigration? I didn't think so. Otherwise you'll need to go thro' immigration in Bangkok.

SJLBK Nov 15th, 2005 11:29 AM

Koh Samui does have immigration. It is now an international airport with direct flights to and from Hong Kong and, I think, Singapore. You can clear customs in KS.

seeksocean Nov 15th, 2005 05:55 PM

Great, Thanks! I did call EVA and your right, they do have an agreement with Bangkok Air. I will ask them about the transit. I like the lounge idea, and I hope that's what they do. Thanks!

seeksocean Dec 4th, 2005 06:12 PM

Here's how it went: You get off your plane in Bangkok, go through immigration and go to the Bangkok Airway desk, which you pass by on the way towards the big Bangkok Airport 'Mall', it's usually on the left. They give you your boarding pass there, and a little airplane sticker that says 'C.I.Q.' on it. You wear that and go to gate 77, where you can catch the special bus to your flight. At the Ko Samui airport they take you to customs, where they could care less about you or your stuff. Easy! But, the Bangkok lounge is very nice. Show them your boarding pass and get all sorts of goodies and drinks free of charge while you wait.

rhkkmk Dec 4th, 2005 06:46 PM

and free internet in bkk air lounge and newspapers...

seeksocean Dec 6th, 2005 02:10 PM

Ya, the internet was great. I don't know any other airline that goes out of their way like that to economy travelers.

glorialf Dec 6th, 2005 02:17 PM

How would it work for me? I'm flying thai air from NY and connecting 2 hours later on thai air to chiang mai. They say they will check the bags all the way through. Has anyone done this and so could they give me the exact (I'm neurotic about missing flights) procedure? Thanks

seeksocean Dec 6th, 2005 02:39 PM

There were seven (count 'em) and all our bags went through even with connecting flights. We didn't loose a bag....and there were a zillion! Just watch the folks at the ticket counter and make sure you see that your baggage claim stub reflects all your flights. Thai airways was great. We took them Chiang Mai to Phuket. nice food. We prefer EVA Airlines though, for the long haul, as they have a class of service (Everfreen Deluxe) that is just slightly more than economy and really deluxe!

seeksocean Dec 6th, 2005 02:44 PM

oops...It's Evergreen Deluxe! Bigger seats, reclines more, personal screen, etc.