Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

COMPLETE INDECISION! - HELP - THAILAND ITINERARY - Bangkok-Phuket (Kata Noi) - Khao Lak - Ko Lanta - Krabi (Railay)

COMPLETE INDECISION! - HELP - THAILAND ITINERARY - Bangkok-Phuket (Kata Noi) - Khao Lak - Ko Lanta - Krabi (Railay)

Jun 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Ok - i thought I knew where I was going but now I can't decide!!!

2 adults, a 4 year old & 10 month old. We've got 15 nights - going to spend last 5 in Bangkok, probably Marriott at bank manager's request although I am mooting for the Oriental and DH for the Peninsula.

Lots of R & R this time around when not in BKK - can't do too much with the bub in tow. My husband is overly active - even on holiday - so I need sports activities to keep him occupied wherever we are, but this can include diving, virtually any other water sports, tennis, rock climbing. In the absence of sports, he looks for photo opportunities so that is a possible alternative.

also would like luvverly child friendly beach and pool. Air con for the kids and family friendly as far as the hotel/resort is concerned. I get restless if I am somewhere too cut off - I like to be able to have other restaurants/bars a short walk or drive away. Also need to bear in mind that with young children, need to be near medical facilities if need arose.

So - 10 nights to play with down on the beaches - considering staying in 2 or 3 of these - Need HELP choosing which ones!!! Can't do them all:

Kata Noi - Katathani - think this will be where we stay first of all if I can get the room I like (jnr suite). Has kids club for 4 yr old and is on beautiful beach for me. good sports facilities for those who don't know that holidays are meant for resting!!

Khao Lak - Le Meridien (or any other recommendations for Khao Lak??) - near similan islands for diving. We would have to dive separately as one of us would need to stay with the children so would stay 3 nights if we opted for here in order to dive. Best not to be first stop as would rather not dive with jetlag! Bonus - has kids club - lovely beach. downside - too isolated??

Railay, Krabi - Railay Bay Resort - I like the sound of Railay's atmosphere and John can go rock climbing from here. Think this is a definite, but going to check out amari in krabi on recommendation from rhkkmk.

Question - does anyone know how long it would take to get from Khao Lak to Krabi? and onto Railay?

One possible itinerary:
Katathani - 4 nights
Khao Lak (Meridien?) - 3 nights
Krabi/Railay - 3 nights

Other alternatives - somewhere on ko lanta or phi phi for a few nights instead of Khao Lak. OR back to Samui for a few nights to stay at the resort where we got married - www.rockyresort.com - see this thread - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34839327

So - complete indecision - going round in circles! Any opinions v welcome.
BB
Jun 29th, 2008, 01:59 PM

The LeMeridien is a fine choice for the types of activities you want to go after.... We have not stayed in that hotel but have been guests in other LeMeridien properties.

You can check out my entry in our blog for our trip to Phuket. Here is the link
http://site.chinafinds.com/blog/2006...atong-beach-2/

(search on the blog for Phuket)

We stayed in Patong Beach in the Busakorn Wing of the Holiday Inn -- very nice hotel. Will strongly recommend it.

Then you can check out the Nai Harn Beach, relatively secluded and very nice beach.

Finally, we rented a speed boat one of the days and went from island to island -- and when we found a beach we asked to stop for some swimming...
Enjoy your trip
Jun 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

The Holiday Inn is a possible back up choice if Katathani not available - my daughter has seen a photo of a pirate room she wants to stay in...will check out your blog thank you!
Jun 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM

meridien at K/L has the largest kids club and activities area i have ever seen and the hotel is very nice....even has a whole wing for families...
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:44 PM

While I agree that Railay would be nice, getting there might be a bit of a chore with the kids - and all that moving around. Maybe you might check out another place in Phuket after Khao Lak. I know the Andaman Resort in the Laguna complex had a great kids club - and the Alamanda in the same complex has some great townhouses to stay in that should generally make the bank manager happy.

It's just a thought. I love Railay, but can't imagine coping with all those location changes with three kids in tow.
Jun 30th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

two kids plus a husband! (might as well be 3!)

I take on board what you say about the moving around but we found last time that about 3/4 days in one resort was about optimum. What is the transfer like to Railay - we visited before - i think it was about 15 mins in a longtail from ao nang but remember having to wade through the water?

I think husband wants to go to Krabi - so perhaps I will look at places on the mainland there as well. Took a look at Amari Vogue - gorgeous but a bit to pricey unless some deals come up. Am going to look up those other resorts you recommended in Phuket as well Michael.

Which airlines fly to Phuket/Krabi?

Anyone know how long the car journey would be from either Katathani to Ao Nang or Khao Lak to Ao Nang.

Thank you both
BB
Jun 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM

To Railay from Ao Nang or Ao Namao (sp? closer to the airport) is 15 minutes, and in most cases you must wade/walk through some water to and from the boat.

I can understand the need for a change of scenery, but would think that spending as little time to get it as possible would be advantageous. Hmmm... what if you skipped Phuket and Khao Lak, and did Lanta + Railay, or do Phuket first, then Phi Phi, then Railay. That way, you would fly into Phuket and out of Krabi.

Most of the domestic carriers, both budget and full service, fly in and out of Krabi. That includes Thai, Nok, Bangkok Air, Air Asia and 1-2-Go.

Bob would have the most recent reasonable estimates of drive times between Phuket, Khao Lak and Krabi, if you still wanted to consider that.
Jun 30th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael - am going to look at those different options
Jul 1st, 2008, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

ttt for Bob - can you help with timings of driving?
BB
Jul 1st, 2008, 12:37 AM

Further to what Michael have said about flights to Krabi. I believe Nok Air have cancelled their Krabi flight along with some other cities(Ubon etc). Nok Air has problems with TG so possibly more cancellation in the future.
Jul 1st, 2008, 05:16 AM

yes...driving is very easy...we drove from phuket to krabi and it took us most of the day, leaving phuket at 10, stopping for lunch for 45 minutes, then two other stops and we got to krabi mid-afternoon.....but a non stop might take about 3 hours....

driving from krabi to K/L took about 3-4 hours if you use the over the mountain road....

the drive from phuket airport to khao lak, in reverse, was about 1.5 hours at a leisurely pace....

all the roads were excellent...

we used pure car rentals for a good rate in phuket and they delivered...www.purecarrent.com and drop off at departures at the airport....very newish car too....
we had the car all the time from phuket to the return....

there are a couple of new places in the same area as amari...also just down the street is a sofitel i think...or other large western chain...

ao nang had tons of hotels, but i don't have any names for you...

krabi town is a bust...
Jul 1st, 2008, 07:11 AM

Actually, Krabi town is quite nice as Thai cities go, but not for tourists.