Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Comments on fare LAX-BKK for June (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/comments-on-fare-lax-bkk-for-june-588073/)

jcontreras Feb 4th, 2006 05:35 AM

Comments on fare LAX-BKK for June

Hi,
We just booked a LAX-BKK in Evaair Deluxe Economy for US$1,200(including taxes and surcharges) travelling in June,
do you think its a competitive fare or we have to wait and see if prices drop?
any comments on Eva air? and Evergreen Deluxe Economy? worth the US$300 up from economy? thanks again for you help!

hi50phd Feb 4th, 2006 05:43 AM

We paid 1200USD from the Southwest thru LAX on Delta.

maemcdonald Feb 6th, 2006 02:20 PM

United was $800 about a month ago, through Tokyo. But I have no idea what they are charging now.

The deluxe economy on EVA is great! It is worth every penny. More leg room, more space between seats, pretty much looked like business class to me. I was really glad I did it!!

Guenmai Feb 6th, 2006 05:33 PM

I fly L.A. to Bangkok and think the fare is fair. If you wait it could increase steeply. I know that lower fares can usually be found, but it's all a chance. Flights book up really fast from L.A. as we have a huge Thai community and folks travel back and forth regularly. I just posted info for someone who asked this question last week. If you do a search, I've listed the agency in L.A. that you can contact. Happy Travels!

Kathie Feb 6th, 2006 05:43 PM

Do I understand you correctly that this is the Evergreen Deluxe fare? If so, grab it, it's a great deal!

mrwunrfl Feb 6th, 2006 05:49 PM

I think it is a pretty good fare. Haven't flown it but I would think the upgrade is worth the $300. So, you are paying $900 for the economy class ticket. Looks like taxes are about $160, so your base fare is $740.

EVA Airways has fares at travelocity for $560 for travel in Sept-Oct and Feb- mid May.

mrwunrfl Feb 6th, 2006 05:53 PM

My last point being that the if $560 is a rock-bottom fare (or near to it) then $740 sounds good if June is a peak time for travel (as I think Guenmai mentioned on the other thread).

mrwunrfl Feb 6th, 2006 06:09 PM

I just reread my posts and realize that I wrote the following:

1) I don't know what a good fare is as I haven't actually bought a ticket to BKK (flew there once on an award).
2) I don't know what the DE on EVA is like as I have never actually flown EVA. But if it is $300 for any kind of upgrade from coach for a 16000 mile roundtrip then I think it would be a good bet.
3) I don't know that a rock-bottom fare is for that trip.
4) I don't know for sure if there is a summer peak season.

So, other than that, I stand by what I wrote.

rkkwan Feb 6th, 2006 06:31 PM

I think that's a fair price. June may not be the very peak season (I think Christmas holiday may be), but still I'd buy it.

The Evergreen Deluxe class on the 744 between US and TPE has 2-4-2 seating and 38" pitch. Kind of like a domestic FC seat, rather than an international business. Food is similar or same as coach.

On TPE-BKK, you may get the same, or if your flight is on the brand new 777-300ER, then you get the new "Elite Class", which is basically the same thing. 2-4-2, 38" pitch, rather than 3-3-3; and more pitch. The personal TV screen is larger on this new plane compared to the 744.

JamesA Apr 18th, 2006 08:30 AM

ttt for Nellie

jcontreras Apr 18th, 2006 09:21 AM

Update:
We gave up our original $1,200 net fare LAX-BKK and got a $1,150 net electronic ticket from Thaifly.com, also on EVA Evergreen Deluxe.