Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Comfort on United coach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/comfort-on-united-coach-555102/)

perkinsclan Aug 29th, 2005 11:43 AM

Comfort on United coach?

Does anyone know how the coach seats are on United flying from the U.S. We would be flying from Seattle and it looks like a very long flight. I am concerned about leg room(we are both tall), being able to sleep, things like that.

Thanks!

Kathie Aug 29th, 2005 11:58 AM

"comfort" and "coach" should not be used in the same sentence...

That said, the only coach seats that have more leg room are the "Economy Plus" seats which you are eligible for if you are a Mileage Plus Premier or Premier Executive (that is, a very frequent flier who files more than 25,000 actual miles per year on United).

BillT Aug 29th, 2005 11:59 AM

I assume you are flying to Asia- you need to say where you are going.
Service and seats on United are lousy- you would be far better off flying one of the Asian airlines. Service is superior on the Asian airlines because- frankly - they know how to serve! Now the seat comfort is another issue. If you are not seeking to accumulate FF miles on United then may I suggest you check out EVA Air- they have an Evergreen Deluxe Class that costs about $200 or so more than coach but the seats are wider, the legroom is better and the servives is good. You also get better seat arrangment as they have a 2 x 4 x 2 arrangement. Its worth the extra $200 or so. If you are trying to get FF miles on your United plan then try for one of United Asian air partners- its gotta be better than the service you get on United.

ccc Aug 29th, 2005 12:01 PM

I think the answer depends on whether you are in the front of the economy section (premium economy I think) or in the back. In the front I think it's tolerable. In the back I think it's excruciating. My only experience is from a few years back on a trip to Australia. We had booked business class seats on Qantas, but because of a USAir delay we missed the Qantas flight and were rebooked in economy on United. We were in the very far back of the plane and I can tell you - it was excruciating!

ccc Aug 29th, 2005 12:09 PM

Depending on where you are going, Thai is a Star Alliance partner of UAL, they give you a couple extra inches of legroom in coach, and the service is infinitely superior.

glorialf Aug 29th, 2005 12:11 PM

I would do everything possible to avoid United.

Craig Aug 29th, 2005 12:25 PM

I read somewhere recently that United was going to allow non-status customers to purchase the "Economy Plus" seats (for a price) on certain flights. That being said, United Economy Plus is inferior to the "Premium Economy" available on several of the Asian airlines. On United the seats are all standard economy width while on the Asian airlines you get a wider seat in addition to more leg room.

Quite honestly, I have flown to Bangkok on United 3 times (from Connecticut via Chicago and Toyko) and I don't even find Business Class that comfortable. For that reason, we are flying on Thai for our next trip. If you don't need the miles, I highly recommend you check out the alternatives.

laurieco Aug 29th, 2005 12:36 PM

Agree with all the other posters. I have flown United economy to BKK and Sydney (more than once) from JFK. The only way to tolerate it is to take sleeping pills.

BillT Aug 29th, 2005 12:57 PM

If the CEO's of the US majors want to understand why so many people prefer to fly the Asian airlines over the Pacific they need only book themselves a couple of transpacific flights on these airlines and observe the level of attention/service- then maybe they "will get it"!.

Gpanda Aug 29th, 2005 01:02 PM

The simple truth is that all coach seats are uncomfortable to us large people. For any flight over 4 hours, things get very cramped. I get up and stretch every hour. I take solace in the comparative price. I'm very willing to be uncomfortable for long periods of time for cash. Make believe it's a reality show. From Boston tp BKK, you can fly coach 5 times for the price of one business class flight. That's a lot of Thai massages. Also, it's not as if you get off a business class flight bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. You'll be exhausted anyway. Dream of upgraded hotels and dinners.

laurieco Aug 29th, 2005 01:02 PM

I don't think the CEO's really give a ----. They HAVE to know how bad the service is and how uncomfortable it is. But these flights are almost always full, so until the planes start flying half empty, there will be no incentive for improvement. They are concerned with one thing and one thing only--their bottom line. That comes first, even before safety I'm afraid.

BillT Aug 29th, 2005 01:06 PM

Gpanda- I agree but would add that you don't have to suffer in coach- the upgraded coach- like EVA Air deluxe Class- is only about $200 more and you get a lot of comfort for a little extra fare. I'm sold on this class of travel. I would never pay those rediculous Business Calss fares but for $200 more I really get the room I need and all that goes with that. Its a nice balance.

Jim0884 Aug 29th, 2005 01:30 PM

stop, you're depressing me: i have to fly United E+ to BKK on Wednesday....sigh

Craig Aug 29th, 2005 01:58 PM

BillT, Gpanda - I don't think anyone actually PAYS for business class - at least I don't - miles can be used for upgrades however and if you manage your credit card charges, hotel stays and trips well, they accumulate rapidly.

stitchintime Aug 29th, 2005 02:14 PM

I have taken BillT's advice and am flying to Thailand on Monday via Eva air. I really am looking forward to seeing if this is as good as I think. Plus I get mileage for Continental. I'll let y'all know.

Kathie Aug 29th, 2005 02:24 PM

Craig, I'm with you. I never fly coach across either "pond" beacuse I always have enough miles to upgrade. Even on domestic flights, I'm upgraded more than half the time. United captured my loyalty as a very frequent flier many years ago, and they've made it worth my while to stick with them. Since I buy a coach ticket and use my accumulated miles to upgrade, I get miles for my trip. You can't do that on United's partner airlines.

From Seattle to Narita, the plane is a 777, which I prefer to the 747. The in-seat entertainment is better and it feels more spacious to me. From Narita to bangkok or Singapore it may be a 777 or a 747.

OJudy Aug 29th, 2005 03:11 PM

I flew between San Francisco and Narita twice on United in coach. It wasn't that bad. I made sure I had an aisle seat so that I could get up and move around. It also gave me a little bit of breathing room. I have flown on many other airlines, always in coach. United was no better or no worse than the others. Of course, if I could upgrade, I would!

Craig Aug 29th, 2005 03:23 PM

Kathie - seems like great minds think alike...

rkkwan Aug 29th, 2005 04:42 PM

SEA-NRT is only about 10 hours. NRT-SEA 8.5. Really easy on a 777 with seat-back entertainment.

SEA-NRT leaves 12:45pm. You don't even have to sleep on this flight. Bring some good reading material and your own music - as you may not like what's provided.

NRT-SEA leaves late afternoon. By the time you get to SEA, it's just 2am Tokyo time. Again, not getting sleep is not a problem.

For legroom, make sure you ask about economy + seats while at the airport. You cannot reserve them if you're not a Mileage Plus "Premiere" member, but there may be extra seats still available at the airport. Ask.

rhkkmk Aug 29th, 2005 06:48 PM

you will love coach...what's there not to like....comfortable seats when they were installed 8 years ago, before the foam mashed down, great food, pleasing attendants, great seat mates, and every other thing you can expect from economy...

take a sleeping pill or two and its not all that bad....eat hardy before you leave and take a sandwich for a snack...you will be fine...just keep thinking how many times you can go in coach for the cost of one business class seat...