CLOVE HALL Hotel, Penang

Jun 5th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

CLOVE HALL Hotel, Penang

For those of you who have been waiting, i have the following to report.....

Our flight arrived late, so we arrived at the hotel about 1AM, so you really do not see much at that hour, BUT.... we liked what we saw.

There is an electric gate to enter the short drive.... The property is on a cut through street between two main streets and there is lots of greenery.... There are other two story buildings on the street and adajacent streets have some mid-rise buildings, like maybe 15 floors... it seems very open here.

We were ushered into the very open ground floor which is all white as is the rest of the building, inside and out... Very attractive antiques all around and some vintage oriental rugs...

Quick formalities.... offering of tea refused and upstairs to our spacious room---saffron suite. very large room with king 4 poster bed with netting.... very good a/c and a large paddle fan.....seperate bathroom, non-a/c but very nice and a huge open shower with rainforest shower head and hand held too... room for 6 people... We have a balcony off our room which overlooks the home sized pool which is about 6 feet deep at the center and EKS, perhaps 40 feet long...

Price is 550 R i believe.... they have a website... Christopher Ong is the designer/owner.... 6-8 rooms...

A lovely breakfast is served (choice) either on the first floor or in several places on the grounds.... I would not call the grounds large, but they are very green and comfortable for mid-city...
it cost me 12 R into and out of the center of town today---less than $4, but we are told you could walk in 20 minutes...naught!!!

We like the location and everything about the place thus far... other guests; singapore mature couple, dutch 25ish couple, 2 single asian ladies seperately, and two 30ish asian guys.... very friendly group.

no shoes above the 1st floor.... not sure about the other buildings with rooms---4 rooms

craig---- i'm sure you and jeane would love it....

11 clove hall road; Penang, malaysia
www.clovehall.com
[email protected]
Jun 6th, 2010, 02:55 AM

Nice linnens is another plus. After a hot day of sight seeing we came back for a swim and tea by the pool. so refined!! It is walkable to the historic places, but not in Bob's terms.
Jun 6th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

i can walk to the end of the driveway with no problem
Jun 6th, 2010, 06:29 AM

It does look really lovely and serene. I'm not sure how I'd feel about walking around w/no shoes..are you allowed to wear some other kind of footwear? I remember my former roomie from KL telling me two stories--one was that her mother used some product to paint the legs of the dining table and chairs and it was an insecticide--according to her, if this product had not been used, while lingering at the table after dinner, insects would be crawling everywhere. I'm relatively certain from the way she described things, this insecticide is in very widespread use and has been for some time. The other thing I remember her telling me--and I experienced it first-hand in Italy--is that little lizards would occasionally be in the house, and if you were chasing one, they had the ability to shed their tales. So let me put it this way--given what I've written, I think I might want something on my feet unless I were in the pool. Pool looks terrific! I think I recall you folks showing me this place on your computer when I was visiting you last October.

Enjoy! I am officially envious!

BC
Jun 6th, 2010, 06:52 AM

Glad to hear it's lovely. Is it farther from things than the E&O? We walked almost everywhere from the E&O.

BC, I've stayed a number of places that had "no shoes" policies. Typically it is to protect the gorgeous hardwood floors. (The Borneo Rainforest Lodge, for instance). In that case, you could wear socks or soft-soled slippers if you wished. But walking barefoot on the hardwoods felt great. Even in Borneo, there weren't insects "crawling everywhere." And you want those cute little geckos running around because they eat insects.

You arrive at 1:00 am? Did you have a Laurico experience with Air Asia?
Jun 6th, 2010, 07:27 AM

Kathie: Sounds like it is further from the center than the E&O--he mentions that he took a taxi each way. I loved the E&O! Every time I read these reports it makes me want to go back to another place!
Jun 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM

Kathie, I'd definitely be "the sock girl" in situations like this.

I dealt well with the lizard issue during my year in Italy, though, thought they were kind of funny, but every once in a while they'd surprise me and give me a bit of a "start".

BC
Jun 6th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Now I understand Rizzuto's comment on the other thread about the 6 people in the shower...lol

Clove Hall does sound like the type of place that Jeane and I would enjoy.
Jun 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Ok, who would have guessed it but, Bob has stumbled upon one of Conde Nast's "Hot List Hotels for 2010," see below. It sounds great. But, will they even now let another Fodorite in?

http://www.concierge.com/tools/trave...ls/asia/504689
Jun 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Uh-oh, Bob and Karen may constitute their "quota" for Fodorites!

BC
Jun 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM

I can just see Bob wandering while smoking one of those noxious clove cigarettes. Think Sidney Greenstreet.
Jun 6th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Through the hard work and no doubt difficult efforts of the GM the Clove Hall somehow made it onto the Hot List. A "secret" property known only to those "in the know." Hipsters, bon vivants, world travelers and other assorted hangers on. And to think how quickly that can all fall apart when just a couple of unsuspecting Fodorites visit . . .

If the ultimate posting is negative, there goes the property.
Jun 7th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

there was one empty room last nite.. none today... the house boys could not be nicer and look after you well....

have not seen any crawling creatures in the house but K saw a big one when we took a look at the clove suite---which is huge btw... we love them... they crawl all over the ceilings and behind frames on the walls...

and yes kathie is right---can't she just be wrong about something ONCE!!!?... its all about the floors... we too love the feeling on your feet... plus the transition from floor to oriental is always lovely...

location---yes it is further out of town... we prefer that actually.... it is close to the ocean green seafood restaurant and 2 blocks from the new world hawker center closer to the E&O... Mr Lee claims the new world is the cleanest of the hawker centers...
Jun 7th, 2010, 02:24 AM

It's like when the "bridge and tunnel crowd" begins to discover the hip nightspots in New York. Little by little, the place drops off all "hot lists" and the cool people are nowhere to be seen.
Jun 7th, 2010, 02:46 AM

The pictures in the Conde Naste article #6 and 7 are our room. Very comf. Nice to have afternoon tea by the pool. We are about 6 block further out thatn the E and O. For us it doesn't matter much as we would take a taxi anyway b/c of the heat.
Jun 8th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:00 AM

It's impossible to imagine Bob at a Hip hotel. He thinks au courrant is a jelly sauce. He is a leader amongst the "bridge and tunnel" crowd.
Jun 9th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

no one has said the hotel is hip, that is your misguided word... stop trying to monopolize my thread or i will have you put on probation
Jun 9th, 2010, 05:50 AM

chic, perhaps?
Jun 9th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Please note the misuse of the expression "my thread" The editor Amy clearly stated that the OP did not own a thread. Bob's misplaced sense of ownership (the primary reason he interfaces with all those GM's) once again rears its ugly head.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO