Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Clothing shoes etc India and Nepal
Notices

Clothing shoes etc India and Nepal

May 5th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Clothing shoes etc India and Nepal

Hello, fellow travelers

I am traveling to both India and Nepal this July for a month.

Questions:

1. What are the temperatures like? And precipitation? And, how much?
2. What to pack clothing -wise: breezy cotton shirts, yoga pants, cargo pants?
3. Any essentials to have (bug spray, sunscreen, water bottle with coal)?

Thank you so much!!,!
May 5th, 2014, 06:17 AM

for weather info, take a look at www.weatherbase.com and look at each city you plan to visit. You are taking about a huge area. You haven't given any hints about where you are going, but the weather possibilities rage from insufferably hot to cold. If you are going to "usual places" kit will be quite hot.

You should always pack mosquito repellant. They will be a problem in some places, not in others. And you will want sunscreen. While you might want a water bottle to fill with already purified (bottled) water, one that has a charcoal filter won't remove enough impurities to make tap water drinkable in either of these place.
May 6th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thank you for your feedback. I am traveling mainly in a circle around Dehli and then crossing the border from Varanasi onwards to Nepal. I have looked at the website you suggested and it seems like Nepal is much cooler than certain places in India. I also heard that it will be monsoon season in India. Any suggestions on what to bring? I am thinking rain boost but they are so bulky...
May 6th, 2014, 11:27 AM

I haven't been in July, but we have spent 9 weeks in India and 3 weeks in Nepal. While in both countries this spring, we had a couple afternoons where the local told us the rains we unseasonably monsoon-like. What this means is a complete downpour for a while that ends up creating deep puddles in the streets. Since many (most) of these are unpaved, this means mud as the water starts to evaporate. So, you'll want footwear that can handle this as you walk. I'd look for something more breathable than a rain boot.

In past trips we have always just purchased bottled water, but this trip we bought a camelback purifier that worked really well. You pour in water from the tap, shake it for 60 seconds while an ultravioltet light purifies the water, and drink.

I lived in my macabi skirts on our trips. Check them out. http://www.macabiskirt.com/ And, remember that modesty is of utmost importance. I had some summer-weight, 3/4 sleeve blouses that I wore all of the time.

Search this Thread