Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Clothing advice for India in Nov. & Dec.

Oct 14th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

We are going to India -- New Delhi, Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi -- in late Nov. and early Dec. Taking a tour, not a dress-up kind of trip. What would you advise for us to take to wear? Khakis, hiking boots, sweater, light jacket, brimmed hat?
Oct 14th, 2004, 04:45 PM

u seem to have answered your qn yurself as i would say yes to all of the above! Let me add sneakers, socks (not woolen and pref not all white as they will get very dirty when u take them off to enter temples) - for warm clothes the rule in India is "layer". Day temps tend to get quite warm and the sun is out so you want to be wearing for example a full sleeve tee, then a sweater and then a jacket so u can shed them 1 by 1. A waterproof or umbrella is always advisable - even tho this is not rain season u could encounter an unexpected shower.
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:58 PM

I was in delhi during the last week of december two years ago and it was very cold. I suggest that you take a warm jacket. When we went to agra, there was such heavy fog that we had to wait till after 1:00 pm to have enough visibility to see the taj mahal. Do not miss the Agra fort it is truly beautiful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screen name:
celeste60

Reply:

Oct 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM

celeste - can you tell me of any other problems or words of advice from your trip to india. i will be there with my family during the same time (end of december, beginning of january). we will be in delhi, varanasi, agra, udaipur and jaipur.

thanks!
Oct 21st, 2004, 08:09 PM

If your point of arrival to India is Delhi, make sure you have the hotel pick you up from the airport as most flights arrive late at night and the airport is a good distance from most hotels and you have to pass through some very area where there is nothing. It is scary. Delhi is a great place to shop, haus khaz (i hope the spelling is right)and shops near in the defense colony are great for clothing (beautiful kurtas for men and women, quilts, etc. Food is fantastic in delhi There is a restaurant near the mosque which serves authentic indian food. Our friends who work at the embassy ordered food from there and it was delicious and no one got sick. Make sure at all times while you are in india you drink safe bottled water, which you should preferably get from the hotel in the morning before you leave or at reliable restaurants.

The first time we went to agra we drove from delhi, since we were then going by car from agra to jaipur. There are a lot of trucks with huge loads on the road between delhi and agra, so there are a good number of accidents. If you are driving make sure you have a good car and driver. Ask the driver to drive slowly and carefully. They are usually very good.

The second time we took the train from delhi to agra and came back the same night. It was more comfortable, but coming back to delhi from agra was a problem. There was heavy fog in agra and the train was delayed. When we arrived to delhi it was past midnight and we had to catch a cab to our hotel. Nothing happened, but it could have. I was with my mom and sister and the driver took us through some very secluded residential areas (we were staying at the Taj mahal hotel, the one near the embassies)

The agra fort was the most beautiful fort in India. Go there early in the morning and later go to see the taj mahal. The drive between agra and jaipur is beautiful.There were miles of mustard fields with a large number of peacocks in the fields. It was drizzling a little. We took some beautiful photographs.

Jaipur is very crowded. You need one day to see the musuem and the fort/palace. Great place to shop for jewelry,table cloths, and table mats. For beautiful jewelry I strongly suggest gem palace and amarpali (not sure the spelling is right)The last time we stayed at the rajvillas. They treat you like royalty and the rooms (especially bathrooms) are out of this world. Our bathroom was surrounded by glass and facing a private garden with lillies and they had candles all over the rooms. fabulous. We got the room through american express and paid around $275 per night. The rate included breakfast and one night's dinner.

I have never been to Varnasi.

Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:46 AM

Celeste, we are going to Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Ranthambore in February. Just one question - why do you suggest going to Agra Fort first thing in the AM? I have heard that it is a good idea to visit the Taj Mahal first thing in the AM to avoid the crowds. We will be in Agra two nights but will only be doing sightseeing on the one full day. We look forward to our stay in Rajvilas - from your description it sounds fabulous. Prices have gone up however. Even with a substantial discount we will be paying considerably more.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:10 AM

celeste - your posting is most helpful - thank you! i may be following up with more specific questions as we near our departure. i am excited beyond belief...
Oct 24th, 2004, 10:48 PM

The last time I was in Agra it was late December. When we got to agra there was a lot of fog, so we went to see the fort first, since visibility was very bad. Since you going to agra in february the weather will be much warmer and it will be a good idea to go to see the taj mahal in the morning when it is not as crowded.

As to the Rajvilas, wee got our room through the AMEX and paid for a standard room which I think was the cheapest room they had. When we got there, they upgraded us to a tent, which if I remember correctly is about $75 higher. The tent was beautiful, very large with a mini living area. We decided to go with the standard room since it was more cosy and the bathroom had a private garden next to it. I think all the rooms have the same setting.